starting first retrofit 2006 Impala

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting first retrofit 2006 Impala

Getting ready to do my first retrofit. I've been into Hids for about 2 years now. my first car had green hids and didn't even have a relay harness. My newest car is a 2006 impala has DDM relay harnesses and 35watt 6k in the lows and 55w 6k in the fogs. The low beams are aimed low and the fogs are already projectors (came standard with the car from the factory). The 06 impala has separate hi/low beams, low beam bulb is h11. I just purchased the PNP bi-xenon upgrade with Apollo shields and fx-r and waiting on oem headlights to arrive. Do I have everything I need for the retrofit (not including tools) just as far as wiring goes?

Last edited by JL-KA; July 19th, 2012, 05:15 PM.

Originally posted by soulsea
    I'm pretty sure they are meant for off road use ... actual off road use, not pretend off road use
    Originally posted by soundman98
    fwd burnouts are kinda like wheelchair tricks to me... sure it's neat and all, but it's still operating with a handicap.. so yes, "look one-leg-dan is doing wheelies!!" sounds the same in my head as "watch this honda do a burnout!!"

Do your existing HIDs have a relay harness? Either way, you should be set for wiring.

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew @ TRS View Post
      Do your existing HIDs have a relay harness? Either way, you should be set for wiring.
      Yes they do. Is it recommended I upgrade the one for the low beam to the ones from TRS ?

I'm pretty sure they are meant for off road use ... actual off road use, not pretend off road use
      fwd burnouts are kinda like wheelchair tricks to me... sure it's neat and all, but it's still operating with a handicap.. so yes, "look one-leg-dan is doing wheelies!!" sounds the same in my head as "watch this honda do a burnout!!"

Comment

Originally posted by americanmade92 View Post
        Yes they do. Is it recommended I upgrade the one for the low beam to the ones from TRS ?
        TRS' wiring harness is as close to OEM as you can get from a PNP harness. If you are going to take the time to retrofit, throw out everything DDM and start with a solid base. My .02.

Also, post pics of current headlight/foglight setup.

Comment

I like those shrouds! Looks like you are headed in the right direction to better lighting than you've had. Can't wait to see progress!

Comment

yes it is it gives the ballasts a much better power sorce and it takes the start up stress off of your cars OE wireing
            my vehicles

2013 subaru impreza WRX STi new body style (some mods)
            04 subaru impreza WRX STi (project car)
            2013 ford F550 platnum dually (extreem mods CAT engine swap)

my wifes car

2012 subaru impreza limited sport (some mods)
            07 hyundai accent GLS (extreem mods)

Comment

Originally posted by NeedsWork View Post
              TRS' wiring harness is as close to OEM as you can get from a PNP harness. If you are going to take the time to retrofit, throw out everything DDM and start with a solid base. My .02.
              i don't agree with this. americanmade, would it be possible to post pics of your current harness?

normally, most of these harnesses are nearly identical. i don't feel there is a reason to replace the harness unless you are having a issue with it, or there is some part of it that inferior to other harnesses. so far, i haven't seen much info for/against any specific brands harnesses..

change for the sake of change is not change, it's just waste...
              The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by NeedsWork View Post

Also, post pics of current headlight/foglight setup.
                If I don't have to throw out my harness then I won't.

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                i don't agree with this. americanmade, would it be possible to post pics of your current harness?

normally, most of these harnesses are nearly identical. i don't feel there is a reason to replace the harness unless you are having a issue with it, or there is some part of it that inferior to other harnesses. so far, i haven't seen much info for/against any specific brands harnesses..

change for the sake of change is not change, it's just waste...
                I'll post in the morning when it's light out but this is what a stock photo looks like [link removed]
                Last edited by soundman98; May 18th, 2012, 12:06 AM. Reason: link to competing source-- image is all that was needed ;)

Comment

current setup

Comment

Yup, you definitely need some projectors badly

Comment

holy glare O.O man can you see ghosts with those things

anyways its awsome youve found the light known as HID planet your retro is going to look pretty cool in them lights im wondering how this retros going to turn out

oh and BTW you got an easy selinoid trigger for your BI-XENON high beam just hook em into the high beam wires and done deal you can even keep the OE H9 halogen high beam (god love quad halogen setups on new cars :3)
                      my vehicles

my wifes car

Comment

Originally posted by Da-Sarge View Post
                        holy glare O.O man can you see ghosts with those things

anyways its awsome youve found the light known as HID planet your retro is going to look pretty cool in them lights im wondering how this retros going to turn out

oh and BTW you got an easy selinoid trigger for your BI-XENON high beam just hook em into the high beam wires and done deal you can even keep the OE H9 halogen high beam (god love quad halogen setups on new cars :3)
                        would I need the high beam splitters to do this ?

Comment

no if im correct with these your car has caps on the back of the light that cover the bulbs if it does you can use qwick splices to tap into the high beam ive done that before on a few cars (if your lights dont have the caps just use shrink rap to seal the connections)

i just cheked on if your lights got the caps and they do so you should be all good (youll need to mod your low beam cap anyways yo make it go back further to cover the back of your projector (ive used PVC piping and epoxy to take care of this issue and also a PVC piping end cap you could use other things but i find this works just fine you can run your wires out through a hole in the back and a gromit and seal it all up with some rubberised epoxy then that cap is redy to role

the only one you need to worry about is your D2S connector so theres no issue just put your amp connectors through the hole you drilled and through the gromit (make sure the gromit has a tight seal around the adapters wire and then hook it all up and your good to go)

if you can get a cuple of ballasts you can toss those pnps into your fogs maybe (its the same bulb for your lows as your fogs)
                          Last edited by Da-Sarge; May 17th, 2012, 09:52 PM.
                          my vehicles

my wifes car

Comment

You can splice into the factory high beam wires to power the bi-xenon solenoid to activate the highbeam on the projector.

Also check to see if your low beam stays while turn on the high beams..
                            If not you will need to backfeed power to the low beams so they stay on aswell when you turn on high beams
                            2012 Ford Fusion - halogen awaiting retrofit

Comment

on the impalas that this owner has all 4 lights are on for high beam

all new chevy vehicles as of 06 with a 4 lamp system do it and im my eyes it makes retrofitting a nice bit easear
                              my vehicles

my wifes car

Comment

Working...
                              X