From HID to H7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From HID to H7

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of trouble and googled around and found this awesome forum.

I need to get my Silvia S15 thru the MOT and they don't like that my car is factory equiped with HID. It needs automatic level adjuster and those washer sprinklers for the headlights.

So he's tip to me is to rebuild my headlights to H7 to pass the MOT

Is this possible? what do I need? New projectors? How wil one solve the wiring?

So many questions. Can you help me?

/ Mange

I would look to see if you can find any aftermarket assemblies that dont use HID bulbs. This would be the easiest method if there are any available.

It seems weird that if you are running a factory set up with HID's that you would fail. I could understand a retrofit, but not a stock piece.
    If you want it done right, do it yourself!

Comment

if its stock it should be ok since the car was designed with them. I wouldn't see why it would fail you did modify or change anything.

Comment

MOT? Sounds like across the pond....

Comment

It's the same here in Australia, when importing vehicles say from Japan if they came with factory HID setup they have to be converted to halogen for compliance.

From what I've heard they usually go from D2S/D2R to a H1 using an adapter I believe. Although you can cut a notch into a H7 bulb to make it fit the factor bulb holder.
          * Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelin Man View Post
            It's the same here in Australia, when importing vehicles say from Japan if they came with factory HID setup they have to be converted to halogen for compliance.

From what I've heard they usually go from D2S/D2R to a H1 using an adapter I believe. Although you can cut a notch into a H7 bulb to make it fit the factor bulb holder.
            LOL so.... you take a perfectly fine, fully capable vehicle with factory HIDs. And mod them to take an H7 bulb, thus possibly producing a safety issue. I swear, this is why America is awesome. lol We can have scientists and thugs. A right for the wrong. The rich an richer.

Comment

Originally posted by meder24 View Post
              It seems weird that if you are running a factory set up with HID's that you would fail. I could understand a retrofit, but not a stock piece.
              Originally posted by bleach288 View Post
              if its stock it should be ok since the car was designed with them. I wouldn't see why it would fail you did modify or change anything.
              It might be stock to a Japanese car, but it's no longer acceptable when it is imported into England. Hence why it has to be converted or downgraded.

Originally posted by BrokenVisaCard View Post
              LOL so.... you take a perfectly fine, fully capable vehicle with factory HIDs. And mod them to take an H7 bulb, thus possibly producing a safety issue. I swear, this is why America is awesome. lol We can have scientists and thugs. A right for the wrong. The rich an richer.
              You whine about people picking fights with you for no reason, yet here you are doing the same exact thing? O_o

Many of the older halogen projectors came before HID projectors, and were actually used as the model for HID projectors without being changed much at all. In fact, the original D1S bulbs were designed around the H1 in mind (while the D2S with the H7 in mind) where the capsule is in the same position as the filament on the bulb, more or less. Putting Halogen in HID is a MUCH MUCH different story than the obverse. An H7 bulb produces plenty enough lumens to not pose as a hazard even when in an HID projector. In fact, the HID projector has better light control properties and will reduce a lot of the wasted light from scattering out of the H7 bulb into no where, thus creating a higher perceived output than with a reflector.

In fact, a lot of Halogen projectors are still very similar to HID projectors in modern cars. Specifically the H11 projector which has similarly sized bowls with the only difference being shield placement and lens spacing.

Comment

I don't whine. And it's a logical thought. Honestly.. America has it where a FACTORY VEHICLE = pass. On the other side of the pond, that's simply not good enough and a required mod is needed in order to pass. Seems very very silly.

Comment

That's very untrue. Any vehicle imported into the US has to comply with FMVSS, DOT, and EPA regulations even if it is "stock" from wherever it came from. Same thing in mostly any other country out there. The reason the Sylvia will not pass MOT is because the headlights are not certified by the MOT to be deemed safe in their eyes, which is the same thing that happens here. If you import a car and it is not compliant with DOT standards then you have to convert it or forget about it. Granted, the DOT is less strict than the MOT.

Comment

Well yeah.. but I think that has to do with height (headlights or fog lights) turn signal colors, turn signal flash speed, tire size, emmisons.. I don't think the USA actually regulates against the actual lights (HID vs Halogen) as long as the height/brightness/color is standard.

Comment

I have done this mod before on a TSX. The owner bought a crashed car in the front and got DEPO replacement lights and none of the OEM equipment. All it took was the use of a dremel and not much time. When I bought my I30 I didn't have the OEM equipment either and was gonna swap in H7 bulbs at first. Remove the bulb holder out the lights if you can and you will see wat needs to be modded as you test fit the H7 bulb. Not rocket science at all. Wiring is easy...you will need two female connectors per bulb and you will have to find the 12v input for the ballasts.

Comment

Are you rebuilding the to pass the mot or for good?

Comment

in most cases you can buy an H1 bulb holder on line and just mount it in the place of the D2 holder (H1 and H7 have their filliments in the exact same place) if your car has projectors you can always use a metal washer with the same diamiter as the D2 bulbs flange and seat the H1 in that H7 bulbs flanges require shaving to be mounted in a D2 holder you will also require a washer out behind it to hold the bulb in the projector (i had to do it before for a vehicle) if your car has reflector HIDs usually you can shave the holder to accept the H7 if its got a removeable bulb holder you can get new bulb holders and just mount them in MOT is very stricked on how headlights are they require HIDs with auto leveling and a washing device of some kind (eather nozzles or little wipers) and they also require there to be 0 light above the cutoff

DOT has its restrictions as well as well as ECE MOT complies with the ECE standards japans headlights do not comply with eather DOT or ECE regulations japan has its own standards for their lights
                          my vehicles

2013 subaru impreza WRX STi new body style (some mods)
                          04 subaru impreza WRX STi (project car)
                          2013 ford F550 platnum dually (extreem mods CAT engine swap)

my wifes car

2012 subaru impreza limited sport (some mods)
                          07 hyundai accent GLS (extreem mods)

Comment

Working...
                          X