No announcement yet.

Where can I buy LARGE reflector pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I buy LARGE reflector pieces?

Hey does anyone know where I can buy large reflector pieces that I can cut into shape? I'm wrapping up my first retrofit on a 5th gen 4Runner, and I'd like to cover the space that currently occupies the turn signal with a reflector to obfuscate the bulb. Right now I have an led 7443 bulb in place of the OEM incandescent bulb (second photo). After the retrofit is completed, I think the led bulb will stick out like a sore thumb and will really date the lights. Newer headlights don't have the naked bulbs on display but rather cover them behind thin strips of what looks like reflector material. I want to find a large enough piece that I can cut into the shape circled in the photo and cover the bulb. It won't look perfectly OEM because it'll be a broad piece rather than a very slim, long piece like what typically appears on new models, but I think it'll give it a cleaner look. Does anyone know where I can find large enough pieces?

I'm not sure what you mean by reflector, but you could easily get some sort of flat mirrored surface and put it there, if that's the look you're going for.

I personally would upgrade the LED bulb instead to a V-LED Extreme Triton to improve the appearance.

Comment

If you want to hide the bulb and have it still functional then I think you want a frosted lens (acrylic/glass/etc) in front of it and not a reflector. Keep the existing reflector and bulb as-is and put the frosted lens in front.
      www.fadingarrow.com

2001 Black Firebird Formula 5.7L V8 --- 75th Anniversary Package
      Headlights: Sinolyn 3" D2H Projectors with 35 watt HID

2013 Blue Mustang GT 5.0 V8 Premium
      Headlights: Stock D3S Bi-Xenon

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
        I'm not sure what you mean by reflector, but you could easily get some sort of flat mirrored surface and put it there, if that's the look you're going for.

I personally would upgrade the LED bulb instead to a V-LED Extreme Triton to improve the appearance.
        Wow you're right those look WAY better. I found something similar on amazon but couldn't find it in amber (only red or white). I might consider this option instead.

My terminology is off, but originally I was thinking of the material in this F150 housing that covers led lights on many newer housings. I'm not sure what you'd call it. And I don't know where to find a piece large enough to cut into shape. Thanks for the response!

Comment

Originally posted by VIP1 View Post
          If you want to hide the bulb and have it still functional then I think you want a frosted lens (acrylic/glass/etc) in front of it and not a reflector. Keep the existing reflector and bulb as-is and put the frosted lens in front.
          That actually sounds closer to what I'm describing (see F150 image above). Is that what you mean by a frosted lens? Thanks for the response!

Comment

Ah yes I would call that a "diffuser". I'm not sure what could be used these days, but in the past, I've used the sort of diamond diffuser that you'd find on fluorescent light covers or drop ceiling panels. You could even tint the back/flat side of it to help it blend in more.

Another alternative to the V-LED is the new GTR Ultra i-LED.

Comment

Well.... that lens in that F150 headlight is technically both. The prism sections are retro-reflectors to reflect back headlights from other cars at night so the car is still visible when off. Its like the reflectors on bicycles. On cars, some have a bulb behind them for turn signals or markers but not the entire lens is retro-reflector. Just like on that F-150 where its sections.
              Last edited by VIP1; September 15th, 2021, 04:47 PM.
              www.fadingarrow.com

2001 Black Firebird Formula 5.7L V8 --- 75th Anniversary Package
              Headlights: Sinolyn 3" D2H Projectors with 35 watt HID

2013 Blue Mustang GT 5.0 V8 Premium
              Headlights: Stock D3S Bi-Xenon

Comment

Working...
              X