8th Gen Honda Accord coupe tail lamps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    Glad to hear it worked out for you, despite needing to do all those mods. Post some pics!
    Really it wasn't all that bad. Didn't even have to splice into anything. Just got some female 7443 conectors and made a mini harness. Other than modifying the 912 socket port (a doddle really) everything was just plug and play.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...50SFhvRTZVV2R3

The only other thing I might do is either make the former signal portion (top of the lamp) part of the brake lamps, or convert them to rear fog lamps.

Kk
    Last edited by Ursan; June 7th, 2021, 08:02 PM.
    Let There Be Light - God

Comment

I love that location for the turn signal, the amber color in the clear housing looks so much better and more clear than the red behind red. I would totally take advantage of that extra red spot for some more brake lights!

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
        I love that location for the turn signal, the amber color in the clear housing looks so much better and more clear than the red behind red. I would totally take advantage of that extra red spot for some more brake lights!
        I was thinking that or rear fogs.

If I convert it to an extra brake lamp, I'm thinking of using a strobe lamp. (1, 2, 3, on)
        Let There Be Light - God

Comment

Originally posted by Ursan View Post

It'll be an experiment. I'm still doing the switchbacks.
          Okay, so I tried the green lamps.

They do in fact emit an amber/orange light. But between the green light and the red lens, it's almost invisible during the day and wouldn't be that bright at night.

It's definitely amber though.

Something to do with the color of the red and green partially canceling itself out?
          Let There Be Light - God

Comment

https://youtu.be/4feiSs1Kbs4
            Right at the start of the video you can see it in action. These peugeot 307 and 307 SW were sold in Egypt and are where I got the idea from. Looks like the inner lens is green and the outer one is red using a (white?) bulb.
            2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
            Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
            CAD designed adapter plate, manual leveling motors

How to use Imgur to embed photos

Comment

Originally posted by Ursan View Post

Okay, so I tried the green lamps.

They do in fact emit an amber/orange light. But between the green light and the red lens, it's almost invisible during the day and wouldn't be that bright at night.

It's definitely amber though.

Something to do with the color of the red and green partially canceling itself out?
              Yes, that is what I said on the previous page on June 5th. The green bulb is filtering OUT the red light and only keeping green, and the red lens is filtering everything but red. So, you are cancelling ALL the light by putting it through to incompatible filters. Just barely a little light gets through.

Originally posted by NoodleFace View Post
              https://youtu.be/4feiSs1Kbs4
              Right at the start of the video you can see it in action. These peugeot 307 and 307 SW were sold in Egypt and are where I got the idea from. Looks like the inner lens is green and the outer one is red using a (white?) bulb.
              That is interesting to me that you see this lens as green. It looks perfectly amber to me, albeit dark amber. I just see a red and amber outer lens. Like I said before, if there were going to be some special combination of lens colors, they would have to be specifically designed to work together. Just putting any old green light behind any old red light won't produce any output.

Comment

What I managed to find of the inside of those housings. I used to see them a lot with broken outer lens like that on the road.
                It does look more lime green than green, definitely not the yellow everyone else uses for turn signal lenses, that hint of green is why I called it green.
                Please also note the reversing light lens, looks like it employs similar tricks, I still recall their reversing lights looked terrible in terms of colour and usable output.
                2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
                Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
                CAD designed adapter plate, manual leveling motors

How to use Imgur to embed photos

Comment

a green lense behind a redish lense was used by Audi and other manufacturers as well. As fas I know only with 21watt halogen bulbs.
                  Subaru Outback retrofit:
                  http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
                  License plate lights with dual brightness:
                  https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

*Lens.

And here's *basically* what I did.

Though I didn't record the terminal colors on the 7443 socket adapters so I don't know which does what without experimentation and I can't guarantee that the wire of the sockets you purchase will be the same color. Figure out ground, and then see what wire lights up white and what lights up amber and go from there.

Get yourself 2 LED amber/white 7443 switchbacks.

2 7440/7443 male adapters

2 7443 socket adapters

2 50 watt load resistors

(links are all examples)

Disconnect your battery.

Remove the tail lamps. (seriously, not that hard)

Remove the current red turn signal bulb (top lamp on the 2011-2012 coupe.

Insert the 7440/7443 male adapter into the turn signal socket. connect the turn signal leed to the turn signal leed of the 7443 socket adapter.

Take the reverse lamp lead, splice it (Use posi-tap connectors or use a 2.8mm spade connector after I removed the socket end from the wire harness)

connect that reverse lead to the white feed line of the 7443.

The black ground on the 7443 I connected to the reverse harness ground.

Next, drill out the reverse lamp socket port on the lamp to 20 mm. This is to accommodate the replacement 7443 sockets.

You will also need to slightly modify the brown 7443 socket so that it'll fit the hole you made larger. What I did was trim the clip slightly.

The turn signal feed will need the load resistors attached inline to the + feed and separately grounded.

Once the grounds are connected and the turn signal is going to the turn (amber) signal feed on the 7443 socket adapter and the reverse lead is going to the white lead on the 7443 .socket.

The thing to note about the reverse socket is that it's removable from the harness. This way you can use a 2.8mm spade terminal. You should not need to splice into any wires once you make the harness which shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so.
                    Let There Be Light - God

Comment

I do not think any modification can be done. At least, I have never seen it in my location https://worldcams.tv/spain/lanzarote/airport. It is interesting to find out if anybody actually made it and they did it. And thanks for this guide with pictures posted here – it is really helpful and explains a lot to me. But I do not have enough skills to repeat it on my own.
                      Last edited by freemmis; July 19th, 2021, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X