Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heartray nhk d4s flickering on stock oem denso ballast

Hey guys,

So i just had my 2015 toyota fortuner 4x4 retrofitted today. It had the stock factory HID setup with the philips d4s bulb, denso ballast, and fresnel lens projectors. I was supposed to have them replace it with G5R projector clear lenses, angel eye halo DRLs, and an aftermarket NHK heartray HID d4s bulbs in 5500k.

Everything went smoothly. However when we placed the nhk bulbs, the passenger side had a very slight flicker after 1-2 minutes of run time. We tried two different pairs of nhk bulbs with the same effect.

But when we put back the stock philips HID bulbs there was no flicker. So the retrofitter and i decided to just use the stock philips bulbs since they were still very bright.

In the future I'd still like to replace the bulbs with at least a 5-5.5k color temp from the stock 4300k color. What caused this flicker? The retrofitter was stumped as well since this was the first time he encountered this. he said supposedly the stock denso ballasts have done well with aftermarket hids bulbs before.

Well, from what I can see online, I think your truck has D2S bulbs, not D4S bulbs. So, maybe trying D2S bulbs with the Denso ballasts would help?

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
      Well, from what I can see online, I think your truck has D2S bulbs, not D4S bulbs. So, maybe trying D2S bulbs with the Denso ballasts would help?
      Its definitely D4S man. Says so on the stock philips bulb.

Comment

Aftermarket bulbs don't like the POWERRRRRR of factory ones. In fact, I was testing Hylux 35W vs. DLT F3, and the crappy H1 bulb I had colour shifted to pink in 5 minutes with the DLT powering it (Hylux was fine, slow to warm up though).

I'd say you should look for Osram Cool Blue Intense/Boost or Philips Blue Vision (ultra?)

Comment

Working...
        X