A few questions about my 05 4runner build and 2016 4runner build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about my 05 4runner build and 2016 4runner build

Hello, long time lerker second time retrofitter, well third but I failed at opening my 5th gen 4runner headlights... That perma is TOUGH even on TYC's... with only a heat gun this time around it made it impossible for me. Any pointers would be very helpfull. I am thinking I will need to cut them open like flyride shows on yoootube. Have some is250's I want to swap in.
    But that is only part of my question.
    I am now onto my 4th gen 2005 4runner, (which will be much straight forward like my old 2000 Taco was with d2s 3.0's was.)

I am using TYC chrome 03-04 stock aftermarkets, D2s 5.0 and Denso slims with some closeout TRS bulbs to get me by.

I have a small high beam bucket, that I was thinking of using these "matchbox like" 1.8 inch bi-led projectors off ebay/alibaba aimed higher for more high beam/high corner lights and a quad look. I don't think 2.5" will fit as they are semi circle.

We have no lights in my area and lots of swooping up and down bends with deer around each one... The one thing that I didn't like with the d2s 3.0's was you couldn't see up around corners at all on low beam, and the high was so center weighted it felt like driving blind around upward bends in the road.
    I see my d2s 5.0's have an oem like up-reflector and was thinking of painting it white, or polishing it to give more upward lighting but not blind anyone.
    So I guess I had 3 questions:
    1.How the hell can I open (if at all) 2016+ 4runner headlights without an oven?
    2. Keep halogen bucket and use led bulbs (which are most cost effective?),
    3. OR try out one of the 1.8" bi-led projectors (https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...eryofferlist.0. 0.460168a0NkEoxu) that I can't find anything mentioned anywhere on here?

Thanks for the read and the help!
    Yall rock.

That seller says min order is 5 pairs.
    2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
    Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
    CAD designed adapter plate, manual leveling motors

How to use Imgur to embed photos

Comment

Originally posted by NoodleFace View Post
      That seller says min order is 5 pairs.
      Yeah Im not worried about order quantitiy, I can find those by the one, or if enough people are interested can order them all and do a group buy so we can get them cheap.
      it looks like the same setup as the 2.5inch (both 35w) just has a smaller footprint/lens.
      I might have to be the guinea pig on this.

I just want to make sure I wouldn't just be better off with an LED bulb vs one of these bi-led projectors as far as usable light output goes.
      Any ideas?

Comment

Gonna have to pass, I'm in Egypt and you're probably not. I wish I could get my hands on these AliExpress projectors more easily. It only takes me browsing the forum for 5min to have yet another retrofit idea that I cannot realize.
        2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Those 1.8 / 2.0 inch bi leds look promissing for an additional light source. I would go that route. Ive personally had luck with sellers shipping me only one pair. though prices where higher as on the homepage.
          Subaru Outback retrofit:
          http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
          License plate lights with dual brightness:
          https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
            Those 1.8 / 2.0 inch bi leds look promissing for an additional light source. I would go that route. Ive personally had luck with sellers shipping me only one pair. though prices where higher as on the homepage.
            I ended up pulling the trigger on some led's from amazon with 3000 good reviews. Im going to give them a try. One thing I didn't consider is longevity of those 1.8 Led's. I would hate to be pulling apart the headlights again in a year if they fail since they have zero track record. It still is tempting though as I haven't cracked my assemblies yet... waiting on missed shipped parts to come from TRS.

Comment

Do a build thread if you have the time. Pics or didn't happen
              2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Working...
              X