Ram Canbus HID Retrofit Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zromoser View Post
    both of my “splitters” that Are part of my harness has 1 connector for Ballast and 1 for Hi-Beam, per lamp.

so here’s what I did.
    KEY OFF:
    with what should be the “low beams” power but obviously brights. I disconnect the the “high beam” connector and the “brights” turn off so the light output appears to be what the “low beam” output should be. I plug the “high beam” connector back in and “brights” kick on again.
    same result when tried on both lamps.

now when I turn on what should be my “brights” because of my dash display, i Have What would normally be low beam output. When I unplug the “high beam” connector, there is no change in light output. Opposite from above.

I repeated this process with the key on and also with the truck running. With all the same results. No matter what key position was or which lamp.
    Try flipping the hi and lo wires of the H13 plug (on the Morimoto harness) that plugs into your trucks OEM socket

Comment

Originally posted by krashDH View Post

Try flipping the hi and lo wires of the H13 plug (on the Morimoto harness) that plugs into your trucks OEM socket
      when you say “flip” do you mean cutting and splicing back in the 2 wires Leading to the h13 connector of my mopar spec harness?

Comment

Originally posted by zromoser View Post
        when you say “flip” do you mean cutting and splicing back in the 2 wires Leading to the h13 connector of my mopar spec harness?
        I wouldn't cut and splice, but I would push the pins out of the socket and yes, switch their spots in the connector. Put the high where the lo was, and vice versa

Comment

guess I’m not smart enough for that. I’ve tried to push the harness h13 wires Out of the socket but it’s not budging. The harness side has 5 wires going into my harness socket too.
          2 lead back to the resistor, 2 lead back to the harness And I’d assume the middle white one would be ground in this case ?

Comment

https://youtu.be/ibuIfxJkqz4

He depins a H13 socket in this video, seems straightforward, you just need a thin tool or maybe a paper clip.
            2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
            Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
            CAD designed adapter plate, manual leveling motors

How to use Imgur to embed photos

Comment

Btw H13 plugs are 3-wire plugs not 5-wire plugs, unless I missed something.
              2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Not sure where you're seeing 5 wires.
                Look at the image:

https://hidkitpros.com/shop/morimoto...ess/#gallery-3

This is the H13 connector on the Morimoto harness that plugs into your truck headlight harness.

Judging by that image, I don't think the Morimoto harness is pinned correctly. Brown should be ground, which should be the center pin.

Look at the images in this link:

https://www.performance-world.com/product-p/403013.htm

You're going to need to re-pin that Mori harness. There are tutorials online of how to push the pins out.

Comment

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...m-2003-4runner check this thread out, looks like it might just be that your car is ground switching.
                  2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Originally posted by NoodleFace View Post
                    Btw H13 plugs are 3-wire plugs not 5-wire plugs, unless I missed something.
                    You are correct, the truck H13 PLUG has 3 wires comming into it. The Morimoto harness has 5 wires coming into the Harness H13 plug. i'm hoping that this weekend i can get the truck back in the shop so i can do some more investigating and possibly attempt to re-pin the trucks h13 plug using the youtube video you posted on the 31st.

As far as your post yesterday, i followed the link to the 2nd and 3rd thread. i don't understand any of that. all this stuff is very confusing to me.

thanks for your continued help.

Comment

So let's forget your morimoto harness for a sec. A ground switching circuit is when the wire that doesn't change polarity while you're switching high beams on and off is constantly positive not ground. So one of the 2 wires going to high beam in this case is always positive and the other wire switches between floating and ground. When the high beams aren't switched on that changing wire is floating thus creating no potential difference between the 2 wires and no current should flow through. Switch high beams on and that wire becomes ground (hence the name) and since the other wire is still positive you get potential difference and current can flow through.

The link I sent talking about the Toyota was about how to modify a relay harness (made to connect between a positive switching car and an LED bar) to work with a ground switching car instead.

I am not really sure if your pickup uses this ground switching method for the stock harness but if it does and the relay harness doesn't account for that then there lies your problem. The problem is at the two wires going to the solenoid, they are clearly different polarities when the car is set to low beam. They should be different polarities on high beam instead.
                      Last edited by NoodleFace; February 27th, 2021, 08:40 AM. Reason: Technical errors: i didn't know the high beam lead would switch to between floating and ground, i thought it was between +ve and ground, my bad.
                      2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Working...
                      X