Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for custom light cluster setup

Hi all,

I am creating a new set of headlight clusters for my car for various reasons. I would like some sense checking with the below.

The existing setup is as follows. Fog, Indicator, Low beam projector with single-beam Halogen H1 bulb and High beam Hella reflector unit with single-beam H7 bulb.

I am proposing the following. Fog, Indicator, and just the existing Hella reflector with a dual-beam LED H7 bulb. Hopefully this diagram might help.

My main concerns are wiring and adapters, and the LED bulbs performance / spread. This setup will be mounted to a custom made fibreglass cluster with regular adjustment capabilities and needs to pass UK MOT.

Can anyone provide some advice? Thank you!

Your attachment isn't visible.
    Upload to imgur and set to hidden then, using imgur's desktop website, click on the image you want to share> click the three dots> get shareable links> copy BBCode> paste here and voila
    2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
    Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
    CAD designed adapter plate, manual leveling motors

How to use Imgur to embed photos

Comment

Are you sure your low beam projector is H1 and the high beam is an H7 in a reflector? What's the model of your car, I'm interested to know.

You cannot convert a dedicated high beam reflector to be dual function as far as I know. Also an H7 halogen bulb is not dual filament. Meaning an LED H7 bulb will only have one beam as well (either fully on or fully off). You're thinking of the dual filament halogen bulbs like the H4 and H13. If a car came installed with H4 halogen bulbs in reflector housings, that reflector would be responsible for both high and low beam outputs. Part of that reflector is meant to reflect the light from the low beam filament only and the rest of the reflector face is for high beam. It's also worth noting that those two halves of the reflector are shaped differently. This works because the filaments in a dual filament bulb are arranged so that they are at different distances from the reflector. Each reflector half works with just it's intended filament.

A dual beam LED H4 bulb tries to achieve the same by placing two sets of LEDs at roughly the same 2 positions where the 2 filaments in a halogen H4 bulb would be if it were installed instead.

H7 is a single beam bulb and if intended for a reflector then that reflector is surely single beam. There's also the issue that a dual beam bulb like H7 or H13 won't physically fit in the narrower hole made for an H7. Unless you managed to find an H7 LED bulb that is marketed as dual beam, because then that would be false advertising. Even if you have a dual beam LED bulb in H7 form factor then it won't work, as mentioned previously a reflector made for H7 is only single beam.
      Last edited by NoodleFace; January 11th, 2021, 03:24 PM.
      2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Originally posted by NoodleFace View Post
        Are you sure your low beam projector is H1 and the high beam is an H7 in a reflector? What's the model of your car, I'm interested to know.

You cannot convert a dedicated high beam reflector to be dual function as far as I know. Also an H7 halogen bulb is not dual filament. Meaning an LED H7 bulb will only have one beam as well (either fully on or fully off).
        Apologies, imgur et al are blocked from my office PC. Thank you for your comments. I have since done further research and am starting to understand. Yup, it is by no means a normal car - VX220.

My plans now are to go with either a set of 90mm modular Hella bi-halogen sealed units. Or retain the H7 high beam reflectors and replace the low-beam projectors with newer & smaller units with new bulbs. I may then replace the H7 & H1 bulbs with LEDs or HIDs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good low-beam small projectors?

Comment

For suggestions on which setup to go with I'd leave it to someone with more experience than me to answer. But if it were mine here's what I'd do. I'd replace the H1 low beam with a good bixenon projector. That way you have quad high beams anyway. As far as I recall the 220 is similar to an elise is dimensions. Having quad low beams might be a negative because you'd have to manage the increased foreground light being a low slung sports car. I wouldn't go for PNP LED in the high beam unless you value flash-to-pass over distance lighting. If your H7 high beam is effective enough I'd leave it alone.
          2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Originally posted by NoodleFace View Post
            For suggestions on which setup to go with I'd leave it to someone with more experience than me to answer. But if it were mine here's what I'd do. I'd replace the H1 low beam with a good bixenon projector.
            Thanks for your reply, really helpful. I would install a pair of Xenon projectors but in the UK (I am not sure where you are sorry) we have quite strict rules when it comes to Xenons. They need proper levelling ballasts and washers as well. Not enough space for that in the VX!

My plan is going to be to retain the H7 full beams and upgrade my dipped beam projectors. I am thinking maybe the Hella 50mm units. The wiring harness is currently an H1 connector. Is much needed to convert it to H7?

Comment

Originally posted by Tupperware View Post
              we have quite strict rules when it comes to Xenons. They need proper levelling ballasts and washers as well. Not enough space for that in the VX!
              Ok, so how about a bi-LED projector. Would it still require auto leveling and washers? Any decent bi-LED should outperform that Hella halogen projector.

Originally posted by Tupperware View Post
              The wiring harness is currently an H1 connector. Is much needed to convert it to H7?
              H1 halogen bulbs are rated at 60w and the H7 at 55w. And I'm not sure if the 50mm is a bi-halogen or not, but the solenoid in my mh1 draws roughly 6w anyway. So in total it's roughly the same power output and you shouldn't need a relay harness. You would need to make or buy a splitter that takes your H1 connector and converts it to H7 and whatever the bi-halogen uses for the high beam solenoid (probably 9006).
              2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

Working...
              X