Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX-350 Bi-Xenon wiring in 2012 Camry - prevent headlights from going off during high-beam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX-350 Bi-Xenon wiring in 2012 Camry - prevent headlights from going off during high-beam?

I've got a pair of RX350 bixenons that I'm putting in my 2012 Camry. Here's my diagram that I think covers everything except for the fact that my low beam turns off when I trigger the high beam. I added the red dotted line to show my current best guess on how to bypass this - essentially have the wiring harness fed by both the low beam and high beam connectors - but guessing this isn't best practice.

I wondered if anyone here has experience they could share on how to do this properly?

Thanks!

EDIT: It just occurred to me that I also have the high beams operating as DRL, which methinks would trigger the bixenon solinoid if I just do a splitter. Surely this is a problem others have found a way to solve?
    Last edited by Ahheck01; November 10th, 2020, 03:15 AM.

DRL problem aside, originally you have separate low and high beam bulbs, right? Did they both stay on on high beam?

Don't bridge low and high beam without a diode please.

I don't know how others solved the DRL issue, but it can be solved by adding relays. The added relays would be triggered by low beams to allow the solenoid to function.
    Here's what you need to connect:
    Pin 85: oem low beam positive
    Pin 86: ground
    Pin 87: solenoid positive
    Pin 30: power wire originally intended for solenoid
    2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
    Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
    CAD designed adapter plate

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Nope, as mentioned in the OP, the low beams go off when on high beam.

It occurred to me that the DRL isn't likely an issue, since they're not on when the low beams are on... I don't think. If it triggers the solenoid, it won't matter since the low beams are off anyway.

So the only issue left is keeping the low beams on when high beams get activated.

Here's what I've got so far:

Comment

Originally posted by Ahheck01 View Post
        Nope, as mentioned in the OP, the low beams go off when on high beam.
        Well that is really weird if it's functioning correctly and from the factory intended to have only either low or high beam on. But all is not lost, my car originally had dual filament bulbs and the stock wiring either turned on low or high beam but not together. Remedied by having a diode feed power from the high beam to the low beam where the diode's job is to prevent current from passing back from low beam to high beam. You have to use an appropriate diode, one that can carry the current you're putting through it.

Originally posted by Ahheck01 View Post
        It occurred to me that the DRL isn't likely an issue, since they're not on when the low beams are on... I don't think. If it triggers the solenoid, it won't matter since the low beams are off anyway.
        It matters because you'd have your solenoids energised the whole time DRL is on. May give you a problem later on with sticking shutters I think.

On your schematic the bridging diodes would be from the OEM HB to the OEM LB before the relay.
        2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

TRS seems to have relays that include a capacitor to keep the low beam on during the brief power cutoff when switching to high beams. That said, it seems they only have them for H13/9008, H4, 9003, or 9007/9004. I'm guessing I can't just use an H11 to H13 adapter to gain that functionality, correct?

Any way to use the diode per your recommendation, and introduce some sort of capacitor to address the brief cutoff?

Comment

Yeah, you can't use a h11 to 9005 adapter since you still need to connect the stock plugs into stuff like in your schematic. The diode would splice into both OEM high and low beam wires not from the plugs since you need to use those.
            2006 Grand Vitara 3dr

Comment

NoodleFace
              Originally posted by NoodleFace View Post
              DRL problem aside, originally you have separate low and high beam bulbs, right? Did they both stay on on high beam?

Don't bridge low and high beam without a diode please.

I don't know how others solved the DRL issue, but it can be solved by adding relays. The added relays would be triggered by low beams to allow the solenoid to function.
              Here's what you need to connect:
              Pin 85: oem low beam positive
              Pin 86: ground
              Pin 87: solenoid positive
              Pin 30: power wire originally intended for solenoid
              It seems like OP is having the same problem as me! I retrofitted LED projector bulbs into my car, but the problem is that when I (attempt to) turn on high beams, the shutter opens but the bulb turns off. I believe this is caused because my car originally had an H4 harness with a dual-filament halogen bulb--meaning that originally that using high beams would turn off the low beams and power a secondary high beam bulb. This means that only either the low beam positive or the high beam positive have a current at any one time.

(My car is also a Canadian model, meaning that DRLs are required by law and cannot normally be turned off. I'm not sure whether this contributes to the issue. I would like to disable the DRM system so I can use my fog lights as DRL instead of headlights, but I think that's a separate topic.)

Would it be possible for you to help me fix this problem with my car? I have a 2004 Toyota Prius. I have added my wiring diagram as it currently is, a wiring diagram of the headlight bulbs, as well as a gen. 2 Prius wiring diagram (if that helps).

Thank you for your time!

https://priuschat.com/attachments/pr...ing-pdf.33780/
              Last edited by HeadOfJarg; November 14th, 2020, 03:23 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by HeadOfJarg View Post
                NoodleFace

It seems like OP is having the same problem as me!

You can follow the discussion and the solution here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Head...2092900260538/

Comment

I think you need to take a step back.
                  2012 Camry (canadian )owner, the Low beams are intended to stay on with thh HIGH beams...

I have not touched my headlights - OEM, and this is normal.

So for your purposes - I'm not expert, I would think a relay going to the Bi-xenon solenoids, and a signal wire from the high beam + wire, to trigger bi-xenons

Comment

Originally posted by mmagda View Post
                    I think you need to take a step back.
                    2012 Camry (canadian )owner, the Low beams are intended to stay on with thh HIGH beams...

I have not touched my headlights - OEM, and this is normal.

So for your purposes - I'm not expert, I would think a relay going to the Bi-xenon solenoids, and a signal wire from the high beam + wire, to trigger bi-xenons

Well on of a gun you're right. It's the fogs that go off.

Comment

Working...
                    X