[SOLVED] One Light turns off when Turning On Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOLVED] One Light turns off when Turning On Vehicle

I bought the a Morimoto D2S projector set several years ago from the Retrofit Source and installed it on my 2003 GMC Yukon soon after (this must have been around 5 years ago now) with very little difficulty (other than figuring out a change to the correctional splitters for 03+ GM vehicles). The projectors and bulbs have been working flawlessly over these past years, and I couldn't be happier with the setup! Happy at least until recently when the following issue started showing its ugly head which I'm not sure how to troubleshoot or maybe what I should replace.

Here's my issue:
    when I turn the key to ON and in my darker garage both headlights startup (no flicker, no issues) and comes up to normal brightness. I mention the dark garage as these trucks have the auto-light sensor on them. When I turn the key to Ignition to start the engine the lights turn off (this is expected), but only the passenger-side light comes back on after the engine starts. The driver-side light does not. Normally both lights would turn off and come back on with the engine. (This is pretty standard for other electronics in the vehicle too such as the stereo.)

Additionally, if I turn off the engine and the truck, then turn it back on using the same steps as above the drive-side light comes back on with the passenger light.

Obviously the bulb appears to be fine as it will light up, and the wiring hasn't changed since I installed it on the truck many years ago. So what component or wiring should I be looking at to either troubleshoot or replace to get the system back up and working 100%

Thank you in advance for your insight and help!
    Last edited by Booyahzman; October 7th, 2020, 04:11 PM.

Are you using a relay harness?

Some troubleshooting steps:
    - Try swapping ballast from one side to the other and see if the issue follows.
    - Try swapping bulb from one side to the other and see if the issue follows.

There may just be a voltage drop in the wiring that isn't giving the driver side as much amperage on start. A relay harness should help with that. However, if you have canbus for the headlight, you'll need an appropriate harness for that.
    www.fadingarrow.com

2001 Black Firebird Formula 5.7L V8 --- 75th Anniversary Package
    Headlights: Sinolyn 3" D2H Projectors with 35 watt HID

2013 Blue Mustang GT 5.0 V8 Premium
    Headlights: Stock D3S Bi-Xenon

Comment

Originally posted by VIP1 View Post
      Are you using a relay harness?

Some troubleshooting steps:
      - Try swapping ballast from one side to the other and see if the issue follows.
      - Try swapping bulb from one side to the other and see if the issue follows.

There may just be a voltage drop in the wiring that isn't giving the driver side as much amperage on start. A relay harness should help with that. However, if you have canbus for the headlight, you'll need an appropriate harness for that.
      Thanks, VIP1! To answer your question, yes I'm using a relay harness that was included in the projector kit from The Retrofit Source. I plan on swapping around ballasts when I get a chance next. I'm pretty sure I swapped around bulbs already and saw no difference, but will try again just to be sure.

Comment

So I finally got a chance to disassemble the headlights and do some swapping around. To start off with, the side that the light was still working on is the passenger side. And as of this writing, the driver side will no longer come on at all regardless if I turn off the truck and restart it. I started out easy and worked my way through the parts:

Swapped around the bulbs... passenger side only lights up
        Swapped around the igniters... passenger side only lights up
        Swapped around the ballasts... passenger side only lights up
        Checked that the ground cables were still bolted to the frame... yep!

Okay, all that's left it seems is the wiring harness with the relays. Could one of those or the entire wiring have gone bad? The wiring harness only has one lead to power with a fuse on it so I assume as at least one light is getting power that shouldn't have blown.

Is there a good way to test the wiring harness and/or relays?

Comment

If the harness has 2 relays instead of 1, swap the two relays. See if that has any effect.
          www.fadingarrow.com

Comment

So I finally had some time to take a deeper dive in and pulled out my voltmeter. I traced the power from the battery, tested both relays and made sure both were getting power. Both relays tested good, and I had power all the way up to the ballasts.

I finally found the issue of course at the end: grounding wires. For whatever reason although I've never had an issue with the lights working for the last 5-6 years, the ground wires weren't getting ground anymore. So I found a different place for them, scuffed the paint, and hooked them up. Put everything back into place, and both lights are back up and running, no delay turning on.

So by changing the grounding point, I fixed my lights.

Comment

Grounding issues often creep up and causes issues with anything electrical. Luckily you found it.
              www.fadingarrow.com

Comment

Working...
              X