Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well can you see road signs w/ a clear lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well can you see road signs w/ a clear lens?

I’m looking at doing a swap and secondary shield removal on my car‘s oem projectors.
    Finished messing with a spare for a prototype but I wanted to make sure I’d still be able to see the road sign.
    Output amazing and sharp and the oem curved shield makes a killer color band.
    I cut off the entire secondary shield on my prototype. I haven’t been able to test it at all in real world driving conditions.

I thought maybe on the real one I should leave the squirrel finder part and just get rid of the diffuser.

Thoughts?

What secondary shield are you referring to?

Some OE halogen projectors employ an RV shield, a small rectangular plane between the traditional low beam shield and the lens, whose surface "bounces" light from the upper bowl back upwards. The orientation is more of a squirrel finder, but I suppose a similarly sized plate with a slightly different pitch orientation could add some light onto road signs. However, I'm not sure if it will generate too much glare to oncoming traffic.

A potentially more reasonable option is to switch from DOT to ECE pattern; assuming the road signs you're talking about are the ones on the shoulder, not overhead.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      What secondary shield are you referring to?

Some OE halogen projectors employ an RV shield, a small rectangular plane between the traditional low beam shield and the lens, whose surface "bounces" light from the upper bowl back upwards. The orientation is more of a squirrel finder, but I suppose a similarly sized plate with a slightly different pitch orientation could add some light onto road signs. However, I'm not sure if it will generate too much glare to oncoming traffic.

A potentially more reasonable option is to switch from DOT to ECE pattern; assuming the road signs you're talking about are the ones on the shoulder, not overhead.
      https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...is-shield-bowl

Here is a thread with pictures of the projector parts. Last picture shows the shield. That little two stepped part that sticks out bellow the cutoff is what I was referring to.

Also when you say ece pattern are you referring to a sloped cuttoff with a larger step?

Comment

It does look like it is located very close to where an RV shield would be, except that it appears to be practically horizontal instead of having some pitch to it.

It seems that it makes sense to use the prototype that you cut to see what happens on some sample of the road. You can always hold the projector at approximately headlight height, its ballast powered directly to your car battery if need be.

As for ECE, yes, some seem to go quite far to one side of the shoulder that doesn't have oncoming traffic.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Pretty sure that extra piece contributes to the uplight. You probably shouldn't be trimming any parts of the original hardware if you don't understand how the optical system operates.

www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

The plan was to only grind off the top part of the diffuser and leave the lower one.

Comment

I personally never liked cutting offs that ate too sharp. I always went with OEM setups to get light above the cut-off. It feels more comfortable on the eyes too. So I wouldn't mess with the shield.
              Subaru Outback retrofit:
              http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
              License plate lights with dual brightness:
              https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
                I personally never liked cutting offs that ate too sharp. I always went with OEM setups to get light above the cut-off. It feels more comfortable on the eyes too. So I wouldn't mess with the shield.
                Ok. I think I’ll probably just leave the oem lens.
                Ran some tests and I figured out what part specially does the oncoming traffic diffusing and I’m going to remove that.

Comment

I ve had two versions of RX330 AFS projectors. One US and one EU version. The EU version had a dimpled lenses but no squirrel finder opening it had a secondary shield . The US version had a big squirrel finders opening but the lens was almost clear and it wasn't as wide. In the end I went with the US version but made it as wide as the European version.
                  Subaru Outback retrofit:
                  http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
                  License plate lights with dual brightness:
                  https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Working...
                  X