Headlight melting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight melting?

So, I just completed my first retrofit on my 99 Eclipse. Took my time, baked the paint to make sure it cured, and cut the black bezels to clear the mini H1s I installed. I just noticed an area on the black headlight housing bezels has some melting. It looks as though the sun caused it by focusing the light on the bezel (?). Anyone had this issue? I did shorten the hid shrouds to allow more room. Could this be a reproduction headlight issue?

I have seen a post where it seems the clear lens of a retrofitted projector affected a painted spot in the headlight housing. Perhaps you can paint the affected area or add a piece of material that is more reflective.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

The thing is that the headlight housing bezel is gloss black plastic. The reflector bowl and shroud were painted Shadow Chrome. I figured I'd have less issues by leaving the bezels gloss black.

Comment

Different types of plastic have different levels of durability to heat (and I'm not necessarily talking about its melting point). Did this bezel originally also cover a projector lens?

Comment

No, it was the bezel around the reflector housings. Basically, the thing that makes the the 97-99 Eclipses 'black housing' headlights. Do the projector shrouds have any other function besides aesthetics? I did shorten the posts on the back of the shroud to allow more room between the projector assembly and the headlight bezel. I did shine a focused light onto the projector, simulating where the sun would be and how the projector would focus the light, and it definitely looks like that caused it. Again, I retrofitted a set of reproduction headlights, not the OEM ones, so plastic quality may be the issue (?), as well. https://m.facebook.com/groups/213329...37578359589370

Comment

Yes, it is possible that replica housings use different material. On a different vehicle, I have tested various aftermarket headlight housings. One of them used a type of plastic that wouldn't fare very well in a hot climate, although it would just barely hold up. It was quite easy to distort with heat.

As for a shroud, as long as the stray lights are blocked, there is no other purpose for it than aesthetics. You can perhaps use a metal substitute.

Comment

Working...
            X