Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G5r projector - problem during driving down from hills.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G5r projector - problem during driving down from hills.

Hello,
    I need Your helps. Since two years I`m using G5r projector with clear lens with Osram bulbs.

During driving on highways everything is really nice, problem starts when I`m driving on local roads.

In area with hills and turns, during driving down are moments when I don`t see nothing above cutoff - I can`t use highbeam becouse of oncoming car.

Advantage in OEM projectors is they have blurry cutoff and in situations like above it helps.

Is it any way to get better light distribution with little bit blurry cutoff without give up intensity? Fresnel lens?

Switching to lenses that are not as clear won't help much; the nature of the cutoff shield + bowl + lens + bulb construction in a projector, coupled by the much brighter hotspot of an HID bulb compared to halogen, means that the contrast in situations like you described makes it hard to see.

Reducing the bulb brightness has more downsides than upsides.

Do you have space for a halogen freeform reflector low beam for this kind of condition in addition to the G5r?
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Thank You for answer.

Yes, I know the problem will exist as long as I`m using strong source of light.

I think OEM lights/projectors are using frosted/fresnel lens to reduce this effect - really bright below and comletly dark above cutoff. With blurry cutoff should be better, eyes should easier adapt to it. Am I right?

Are on the market good projectors, maybe OEM which give a similar intensity of light without clear lens?

No, I don`t have a space for a additional light.

Comment

Originally posted by maciekelga View Post
        I think OEM lights/projectors are using frosted/fresnel lens to reduce this effect - really bright below and comletly dark above cutoff. With blurry cutoff should be better, eyes should easier adapt to it. Am I right?
        My personal experience with one of my vehicles that came with OE HID, is that while the cutoff is not as clear on the wall, there is still not enough light above the cutoff for this kind of hill scenario. I think it makes sense because they all need to conform to the same lighting regulations anyway (FMVSS in the US for example), where there is a maximum allowed intensity above the cutoff going towards opposite traffic (plus other position intensity requirements that are either max, min, or both max & min).

Are on the market good projectors, maybe OEM which give a similar intensity of light without clear lens?
        If I recall, the G5R is a replica of the 5th gen Hella. I would assume that they have similar beam pattern, but that the OE do not use clear lens.

No, I don`t have a space for a additional light.
        I see.

Another somewhat doable alternative is to find that very rare biXenon with rotary shield. I don't remember who the manufacturer is; instead of a shield that either drops by swiveling forward or sideways, I remember seeing a projector with a "cylinder" like shield edge, with different shapes; progressing from low beam in the conventional sense to high beam. Any position in between would let some more light as the cutoff appear to move up and gradually change shape into something without an elbow (i.e. the "step").

Unfortunately I don't know who manufactures that projector.

Comment

Thank You very much.

In that case, I have to get used to the sharp cutoff line or change projectors to other ones at the expense of intensity.
          In addition, do you know if there is a G5 version with a slope cutoff like in MD2S 5.0 or RX350?

I liked to changed to RX350 but they are not compatible with D1S bulbs, I have almost new D1S Philips XtremeVision.

Comment

You indicated you have no space for additional light. Is that just in the headlight housing or including foglight housing? Nowadays, there are mediocre low beam LED headlights that doesn't have as far low beam distance reach as a proper HID nor the width, but may have a slightly more blurry transition above and below the cutoff line. Perhaps you can mount a pair somewhere and set up a separate switch for the pair?

In that case, I have to get used to the sharp cutoff line or change projectors to other ones at the expense of intensity.
            Yes, that's another option. At one point, I ran an older projector pair (a very old M2DS 2.0) with some mods to make a mild squirrel finder and used them as a secondary pair for similar purpose as you indicated.

In addition, do you know if there is a G5 version with a slope cutoff like in MD2S 5.0 or RX350?
            I'm not sure. I assume if you source them from aliexpress, the vendor may have a version, as I'm guessing they sell to not just US buyers.

I liked to changed to RX350 but they are not compatible with D1S bulbs, I have almost new D1S Philips XtremeVision.
            Is this because of the slot/notch pattern in the projector's bulb receptacle area, or is it because of the attached igniter interfering with the bulb mounting mechanism?

Comment

Unfortunately i'm not able to modify headlights, so no any additional source of light is possible to install.
              As I know base for bulb is not compatible with D1S, but maybe somebody can confirm it?

Anyway, is it sense to replace G5r with Koito BiLed or RX350 with Sti lens? Or just better to leave as it is.
              Overall I'm happy with my intensity, only case with going down from hills is a litte confusing.

It's my first retrofit, now I know I prefare ECE/slope cutoff

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                Another somewhat doable alternative is to find that very rare biXenon with rotary shield. I don't remember who the manufacturer is; instead of a shield that either drops by swiveling forward or sideways, I remember seeing a projector with a "cylinder" like shield edge, with different shapes; progressing from low beam in the conventional sense to high beam. Any position in between would let some more light as the cutoff appear to move up and gradually change shape into something without an elbow (i.e. the "step").

Unfortunately I don't know who manufactures that projector.
                @maciekelga
                I saw this info page on Hella automotive lighting: https://www.hella.com/techworld/uk/T...eadlights-663/

It appears to have a rotary "shield", and if you cycle through the images in section 2, from (1) low beam to (4) motorway light to (2) high beam, the rotary shield essentially rotates further and further, with motorway light having a position between the low and high beam shield positions.

Unfortunately i'm not able to modify headlights, so no any additional source of light is possible to install.
                As I know base for bulb is not compatible with D1S, but maybe somebody can confirm it?

Anyway, is it sense to replace G5r with Koito BiLed or RX350 with Sti lens? Or just better to leave as it is.
                Overall I'm happy with my intensity, only case with going down from hills is a litte confusing.
                Hard to say. My guess is that the downhill situation won't be that different amongst the projectors because they low beam function needs to conform to a maximum allowable light above the glare-height (by that I mean any position where oncoming traffic and traffic ahead could be adversely affected by glare), but the low beam intensity is much higher than that of an OE halogen unit.

Perhaps a bit counterintuitive, if you could have a variable power ballast, you can drive it a bit lower than 35W (I've read that a rare few OE ballasts run at 25W driving the same type of HID bulbs), and thus the contrast between dark and bright won't be as extreme. There are some ballasts that people have modified, although in most cases, the intent is to have it adjustable to provide more power instead of less. Nevertheless, the same principle should be able to detune the ballast.

If not, then source one of those Hella VarioX projectors and figure out how to control the "shield" between the low and high beam states. That should provide some additional coverage when going downhill.

Comment

Hi,
                  Thanks for Your reply.
                  I think in Skoda Octavia 3 Hella VarioX is installed as OEM projector.

As You wrote befor, every good projector with high intensity have a problem with dark above cutoff line, becouse high intensity below cutoff.
                  I will stay with G5 projector, maybe only I will look for ECE shield or go with RX350 with clear lens.

Thank You for Your help!

Comment

Do You know maybe, what is a performance of output from Variox? Is it as good as G5?

Comment

Do You know maybe, what is a performance of output from Variox? Is it as good as G5?
                      Sorry, no. Since it is not an old projector, and from the same manufacturer, I would think that the performance is not going to be worse (in general terms).

Comment

I suppose I found Variox projector. I`m waiting for delivery. If it is really Variox, I will prepare some output shoots.

Comment

I suppose I found Variox projector. I`m waiting for delivery. If it is really Variox, I will prepare some output shoots.
                          Sounds good. How the "shield" is controlled is another matter though. Does it use a stepper motor or does it need a separate controller, etc.

Comment

I made a new topic.
                            https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...ection-problem

Comment

Working...
                            X