Confirmation on 75 Watt HID's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmation on 75 Watt HID's

I am looking for some confirmation that I am on the right track as I do not have a lot of experience but I'm learning. Currently I have 35 watt H1 HID's with what I am told is a "D2" type connector. I am wanting to upgrade to 75 watt HID's but want to confirm that I have to also upgrade my ballasts from 35 watt to 75 watt in order to run the lights properly. Would this be a "plug and play" type upgrade?

Also, do I have to upgrade the igniters as well or can I use the same ones that I currently have? Thanks in advanace for the help!!

Cheers

Anyone?
    Last edited by Gsxrgrizz; August 31st, 2019, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask.

The ballasts handle the wattage part. So upgrading your ballasts from 35W to 75W will do it. Igniters are part of the ballast.

If your ballast has a D2 connector, you will need D2S to AMP adapters to run an H1 bulb.

But running 75W is a crazy thing to do. Most projectors H1s barely handle 55W, at 75W they'll fry. You'll also have a ton of foreground and likely powered visibility.

What is this going into, that has an H1 bulb? Some sort of spotlight?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
        I'm not sure what you're trying to ask.

The ballasts handle the wattage part. So upgrading your ballasts from 35W to 75W will do it. Igniters are part of the ballast.

If your ballast has a D2 connector, you will need D2S to AMP adapters to run an H1 bulb.

But running 75W is a crazy thing to do. Most projectors H1s barely handle 55W, at 75W they'll fry. You'll also have a ton of foreground and likely powered visibility.

What is this going into, that has an H1 bulb? Some sort of spotlight?
        Thanks for the reply, I was actually going on some information from a third party I was about to hire that I've since found out was completely full of crap and had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. Basically, I was told that I could upgrade to 75 watt bulbs on my side by side (off road only vehicle) using my current 35 watt ballasts. When I asked about the wattage difference I was told I could accomplish this by "upgrading" my igniters to handle the new bulbs.

The reason for my post was to try and confirm this before going down of road of letting him touch anything as what he was saying did not make sense to me but I also had VERY limited knowledge at the time. Fortunately I was able to find a friend of a friend that installs HID systems professionally who was more than happy to let me "help out" with one. While I still do not know everything by any means, I now have a much larger grasp on how to install and upgrade them. I feel stupid about the post now but, at the time, I had no clue about the answer and Google was not being my friend!! Again, thanks for the help.

Comment

Lots of misinformation out there so people can dupe you into buying junk $20 "50W" or "75W" HID kits from China.

Always do your research, more than enough information available here to help you make an informed decision.

Comment

Haha yeah he was full of shit. Feel free to ask any more questions. we can clear it up. Glad you managed to find out some truths!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
            2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Working...
            X