Dark Spot on ground after HID bulb Swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Spot on ground after HID bulb Swap

I have an issue that may turn into a frustrating time to return my headlights to normal status.

I have a 2017 GTI SE and wanted to replace the 5500k stock bulbs with 6000k to better match the rest of the lighting package. I got a pair of 50 dollar HIDs from Amazon. Let's suspend the comments about them being crappy bulbs, I agree, it could be a bad bulb, but let me explain.

At first they were both great but the hot spot on the right bulb was too low so it looked like there was a spot light on the ground as I was driving. I pulled them out and slightly bent the inside metal prongs on the housing to point the bulb a little higher, and I then drove away. I took them out again when I saw at night that one bulb looked to be out completely. Upon pulling the housing out, it seems that right bulb was NOT secured by the metal latch and was bouncing around a bit in the housing. I securing it again and then aimed the bulb. All was well I thought. No hot spot on the ground, but now this (see picture).

Could the bulb have been damaged to produce a spot such as this? Could it have damaged the projector itself somehow? Anything would be helpful at this point. I am going to return these ones and get the d3S bulbs from theretrofit, but I'm more worried about what caused it. The video link here is better to see the black part of the beam moving with the turning headlights, but the picture shows it a little.

Video: https://imgur.com/a/s4sLwMl
    Picture: https://imgur.com/a/sZbCwfp

Thanks for reading.

Unless you can easily remove the projector from the headlight housing, inspection won't be easy. Someone here has reported success with an inexpensive endoscope camera (the one with LED lighting on the end of a flexible rod) to look inside the projector bowl via the bulb opening.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      Unless you can easily remove the projector from the headlight housing, inspection won't be easy. Someone here has reported success with an inexpensive endoscope camera (the one with LED lighting on the end of a flexible rod) to look inside the projector bowl via the bulb opening.
      Yea, I can see that. With the GTI though, the headlights need to come completely out of the car to change the bulb, so I can sort of see inside. I think the main test will be to just switch the bulbs and see if the spot disappears. Unfortunately there was a little burn mark on the edge of the plastic housing that holds the bulb in. It was very faint but I'm lucky I took them out when I did. Big mistake on my part.

Comment

If there was indeed some damage, and the only region it affected on the ground was that "line" somewhere between foreground and long distance, then I suppose it doesn't really affect the system's performance. Maybe you might even block the bottom light with a foreground limiter to make it not visible.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Could be something on the reflector bit instead of damage
          Oh and grab these if you're after the "LED" look https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/o...boost-d3s-twin

Comment

I'm going to blow some compressed air in there before I do anything this time. I actually ordered the Morimoto D3S 6500k for now. They are a bit cheaper and seem to have pretty good reviews. If I see faults in those, I will just spend the money and go with the Osrams which is obviously the gold standard.

Comment

Working...
            X