Delay on one side when turning on headlights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay on one side when turning on headlights

Matsushita Gen Vís, GE Xensation D2S, 9006 HD Relay.
    Last week I noticed my passenger side headlight wasnít on when I turned the car on, thought my light was out but it came on about 5 seconds later. Driver side is basically instant on but the passenger side will have a delay & when it turns on . It also does like a kind of flickering effect when it finally does fire up. Once itís on though everything looks fine it doesnít go out again.

Thought maybe my ballast or igniter was going out, tried it with a different Matsushita ballast, different igniter, different ballast to harness wire, exact same thing. Thought maybe the bulb was going out, tried a Phillips 85122, exact same thing.

I disconnected the ballast to harness wire thatís currently in the car, everything looked fine, cleaned it with swab/alcohol. Connected everything back together, headlight fired up normally multiple times. Tried it again maybe 3 hours later, still working normally.

Thought everything was fine, turned the car on this morning, delay in the start up of the passenger headlight. It never fails to turn on but thereís a 3-5 second delay from the lights being switched on to the light firing up, along with sometimes the weird flicker effect. Not a slow startup but just completely off, then it turns on 5 seconds later.

Someone who knows a bit more, could the relay or wiring be causing this? Or any idea what else to try?
    Originally posted by gold94corolla
    it gets you all the b*tches

Maybe the socket connector (i.e. power from the harness) that mates to the 9006 pins (i.e. ballast) is slightly worn, so that the pins don't get sufficient contact pressure from the springy part of the socket connector?
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Yes thatís whatís going on. Thereís something funny with the 9006 connector coming from the harness. Passenger light would turn on at all this time, left the lights on, just moved the ballast/harness connection around & they fired up. Visually it looks normal, made sure the gasket ring thing on the connector wasnít in the way. I did a single electrical tape wrap around the connectors, if it keeps acting funny Iíll get a new harness.

Comment

Originally posted by LonzBera View Post
        Yes thatís whatís going on. Thereís something funny with the 9006 connector coming from the harness. Passenger light would turn on at all this time, left the lights on, just moved the ballast/harness connection around & they fired up. Visually it looks normal, made sure the gasket ring thing on the connector wasnít in the way. I did a single electrical tape wrap around the connectors, if it keeps acting funny Iíll get a new harness.
        Not that this is proof;
        In my daily driver's case, I ran into the same situation. Because I'm running a 3-way switchable quad, I have 2 separate harnesses. Fwiw, I've ran into this issue every now and then, and occasionally with a completely brand new replacement. It appears that the problem is the 9006 connector used have a relatively large socket connector opening and/or thin pin connector and/or the spring-like material on the socket connector side is not stiff enough. Either way, it means that after a while, the connection becomes suspect. Oddly, in all instances, it has always been on the passenger side. My remedy is to clean the contact points, and then add a small twist to the pin connector to increase its contact force. Over time, it will lose that contact force, and I have to re twist it again.

If there is a way to replace the pin connectors with beefier ones, it would probably be a more permanent solution. I contemplated adding thickness by adding soldering lead onto the pins, but I'm not sure if there are any hazards introduced by doing that.

Comment

Yeah thatís what it looks like, the pins seem to be weak/thin so the connection seems to be iffy.

I might look into it but do you happen to know of anyone who makes decent quality connectors?

Comment

Originally posted by LonzBera View Post
            Yeah thatís what it looks like, the pins seem to be weak/thin so the connection seems to be iffy.

I might look into it but do you happen to know of anyone who makes decent quality connectors?
            Unfortunately, no. I thought this class of 9006 connector is not built tough in the first place.

Comment

Working...
            X