Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tilted bulb" in motorbike housings

Hi All,

Discussion form another forum about the use of H19 instead of H4 diverted in something different.

Motorbikes mostly have the same headlight assembly (same part number), whether they are for RHD or LHD road. In essence, what happen is that the reflector is designed to give a flat -or evenly distrubuted- cutoff at both left and right. In case of H4 bulbs, the bulb is "twisted" 7.5 degrees in order to achieve that (the shield below the low-beam coil is twisted 15 degrees).

Now, if I want to install a H4 projector on a motorbike with a H4 lamp, in a country that is RHD.. shoud I go for a LHD projector (the cutoff will be compensated by the 7.5 degrees twist) or should I use a RHD?

I would go for the same type (i.e. RHD for RHD, LHD for LHD), but not use the supplied H4 adapter that "clocks" the projector incorrectly. This may involve sanding off any tab on the OE reflector so that you can mount the projector at any roll angle, and then clock it to make sure that the cutoff is mostly horizontal.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      I would go for the same type (i.e. RHD for RHD, LHD for LHD), but not use the supplied H4 adapter that "clocks" the projector incorrectly. This may involve sanding off any tab on the OE reflector so that you can mount the projector at any roll angle, and then clock it to make sure that the cutoff is mostly horizontal.
      Hi Satrya,

Yep, make sense. Remember we had a similar discussion in the other retrofit I was doing.

Comment

Or better yet, add a motor so that when your motorcycle leans, the projector's roll alignment changes too.

Comment

..that would be a bit harder, though!

Comment

Originally posted by Starflex978 View Post
            ..that would be a bit harder, though!
            Yes it would. And in a few years, maybe some of the active matrix LED will be inexpensive enough to use, and you can possibly link an accelerometer to activate / shut off specific LEDs when leaning.

Comment

Working...
            X