Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID Bulb Yellow Output Help

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2013 Infiniti JX35. I have upgraded the yellow halogen fog light bulbs with some nice LED bulbs and they look great. My issue is that the passenger side HID is a very crisp clear output. The drivers side is the same until about 15-20 seconds and then turns yellow and almost looks like a halogen. As a result, I purchased a new OEM bulb and put that in and have the same issue. I even tried to swap the passenger side bulb to the drivers side and had some issue. Could this be the ballast, igniter, etc? Thank you so much for your help in advance. This has really been bothering me.

Welcome to HID Planet!

What do you mean you had a problem swapping side to side? Sounds like a bad ballast maybe, if the bulb didn't fix it. Most OEM ballasts have the igniter built in when it comes to D2S, or on the bulb when it comes to D1S.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      Welcome to HID Planet!

What do you mean you had a problem swapping side to side? Sounds like a bad ballast maybe, if the bulb didn't fix it. Most OEM ballasts have the igniter built in when it comes to D2S, or on the bulb when it comes to D1S.
      I put the passenger side bulb which is a clear white into the drivers side (swapped both bulbs) and passenger side continued to be clear output while drivers became yellow again. These are D2S bulbs. Does this make sense?

Comment

So the problem follows the bulb? Well then it has to be the bulb. Where did you get a new OEM bulb?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

So the problem follows the bulb? Well then it has to be the bulb. Where did you get a new OEM bulb?
          No, it’s not following the bulb. The yellow drivers bulb produces a clear output on the passenger side. The clear output bulb that was clear produces a yellow output on the drivers side. As a result, it is not a bulb issue.

Comment

Oh I misunderstood. Time to replace the ballast. Try to find a discount OEM ballast on eBay. Also check the input voltage to the ballast (not to the bulb!), to make sure it isn't a wiring issue.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Oh I misunderstood. Time to replace the ballast. Try to find a discount OEM ballast on eBay. Also check the input voltage to the ballast (not to the bulb!), to make sure it isn't a wiring issue.
              What’s easiest way to test ballast? Reason I am asking is that I would have to pull the full bumper off but wouldn’t want to do this until I 100% sure know the ballast. The ballast itself is mounted to headlight and igniter is hooked from headlight to ballast and no access to it easily.

So just hoping there would be an easy test.

Comment

I'm unsure actually. You ruled out the bulb, make sure you're getting 12V to the ballast, otherwise hard to say. You have a separate igniter on your ballast?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I'm unsure actually. You ruled out the bulb, make sure you're getting 12V to the ballast, otherwise hard to say. You have a separate igniter on your ballast?
                  Yes, there is an igniter going from ballast to the actual bulb.

Comment

To confirm;
                    Your ballasts are OE. When you replace with OE D2S bulbs, the deriver's side headlight (not foglight) runs yellower.

When you aim the low beams to a wall 25ft from you, how does the hotspot appear?

I ask because one possibility is that the OE projector bowl might be slightly browned on the driver's side. If this is the case, it may not be perceivable during the startup because the initial startup beam color tends to be bluer than the stable color.
                    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                      To confirm;
                      Your ballasts are OE. When you replace with OE D2S bulbs, the deriver's side headlight (not foglight) runs yellower.

When you aim the low beams to a wall 25ft from you, how does the hotspot appear?

I ask because one possibility is that the OE projector bowl might be slightly browned on the driver's side. If this is the case, it may not be perceivable during the startup because the initial startup beam color tends to be bluer than the stable color.
                      Yes they are OEM. The drivers is significantly more than the passenger though. Meaning drivers side looks very yellow. Could this be a bad ballast? Bad igniter? I have attached some photos. When I am about 25 feet away the drivers is still very yellow versus passenger side.

I thought of buying a used ballast and igniter from ebay and use my battery with alligator clips to see how it looks then. I am beginning to think the igniter or ballast are potentially bad. And then if this doesn't work, then it is clearly the headlight itself due to its age.

Comment

Pictures are not showing for me

Comment

Are you lens hazy/yellowed? Asking the dumb questions now.
                          Maybe the projector lens got a layer of crap on it somehow

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                            Pictures are not showing for me
                            Sorry not sure how to upload them. I am hoping it is the ballast or igniter. I looked at light again last night and it is a clear white and then goes to a yellow/halogen bulb after about 15-20 seconds.

Comment

Not sure about it..

(1) Ballast power can affect color. For example, outputting more than 35W (i.e. the nominal expected ballast output) can make the light yellower. Less than 35W makes the light bluer.
                              (2) Bulb salts affect color
                              (3) Startup affect color. In the beginning, output is bluer.
                              (4) Reflector bowl can be damaged over time, resulting in browning of surface. The output could turn yellower

In this sense, I don't know if ballast replacement would be the answer, since old ballast is not likely to exceed its nominal 35W output

Comment

Working...
                              X