Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange HID problem

Hey guys.

I fitted a 5000k HID kit to my car (E60 BMW with projectors) about 2 months ago and they worked fine (apart from blown bulb errors every so often but I got that coded out) until about 2 weeks ago when my drivers side bulb started to only work only when it felt like it.

Sometimes it would light up for a few mins and then go out, sometimes it wouldn't light up at all, sometimes it would stay lit for 5 mins or an entire journey and then go out. I contacted they guys I bought the HID kit off and they suggested it was either a bulb or ballast problem and they sent me out a replacement for each. In the mean time the bulb hasn't really lit up at all. The replacements arrived today and after fitting both a new ballast and new bulb the problem is still there, bulb not lighting up at all.

Any ideas where to go from here? Power supply problem? but if that's the case I would assume both sides wouldn't work and the passenger side is fine and lights up every time with no problems. It's also strange how both sides worked fine for weeks and then one side just stopped.

Hopefully someone can shed some light (no pun intended) on the issue.

Thanks!

Which HID kit? Did you use a relay harness?

Comment

Originally posted by acedeuce802 View Post
      Which HID kit? Did you use a relay harness?
      Think the brand is Autofather or something like that. It was recommended by a few members on a BMW forum I'm on. No, I didn't use a relay harness as I thought the HIDs with the canbus connectors would use the same amount of power as the halogens they replaced? Maybe I'm completely wrong on that?

Comment

Probably dying ballast. Re plug in all connections just to make sure. It's good to run relay harness as during cold start, ballast draws quite a bit of current. E60 should have relay'd headlight circuits, but better to safe.

Comment

Welcome to HID Planet!

Swap parts around Bulbs, ballasts, and igniters (if separate) can be the problem. But yeah you're likely just using a shitty HID kit. Upgrade to something better and more reliable.

A wiring harness is usually a good idea, but not necessary unless you're running an OEM ballast. Some OEM ballasts can draw over 100W at startup per side, over the 55W a halogen bulb pulls. But if you go with a XenonDepot kit, the ballasts are actually made for lower power draw at startup. Apparently does make the warmup slower though. Still, harnesses are a good idea.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
            Welcome to HID Planet!

Swap parts around Bulbs, ballasts, and igniters (if separate) can be the problem. But yeah you're likely just using a shitty HID kit. Upgrade to something better and more reliable.

A wiring harness is usually a good idea, but not necessary unless you're running an OEM ballast. Some OEM ballasts can draw over 100W at startup per side, over the 55W a halogen bulb pulls. But if you go with a XenonDepot kit, the ballasts are actually made for lower power draw at startup. Apparently does make the warmup slower though. Still, harnesses are a good idea.
            Thanks for the reply. I've a relay harness ordered so hopefully that solves the problem. If not I'll try a a more reputable kit, cheers.

Comment

Good luck!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
              2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Fitted the relay harness today and the problem still persists. I'm going to buy a more expensive/reputable HID kit and hopefully that works. At my wits end here.

Comment

$20 kits never last. If you're in US, speak to lightwerkz or TRS for something decent (Denso slim, hylux). Strangely enough they don't offer DLT faststarts, but the Acme speedy start looks suspiciously like DLT.

Comment

Working...
                  X