Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple adapter bracket to allow for H11 bulb to be mounted inside 9003/H4 socket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple adapter bracket to allow for H11 bulb to be mounted inside 9003/H4 socket

I recently acquired some H11 bulbs and ballasts from a buddy and am looking to rig them up in my old car that takes 9003/H4 bulbs

I've searched eBay & Amazon & a bunch of random sites trying to find an adapter but I've had no luck

I'm ok with trying out something that's not exact as long as I can cut away some plastic to make it fit if need be

I understand the hate surrounding people who put HIDs inside reflector housings but I have brand new OEM style housings so I plan to properly adjust them so that they aren't aimed high blinding oncoming traffic. I just really need better headlights in my car because I can't see for crap especially when it's wet and rainy

If I had access to a basic 3D printer I could make up my own basic little adapters so easily

H4 is dual filament and completely incompatible with H11 which is single filament.
    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter View Post
      H4 is dual filament and completely incompatible with H11 which is single filament.
      Thank you for the quick response. I am aware of that and am fine with not having high beams for now. I am not planning to use the factory wiring harness so the electrical connectors is not an issue I will be powering the ballast with a relay and direct connection to the battery. I just need a way to be able to securely mount the H11 bulb inside the H4 socket

Comment

Well even if you do mount H11s in your H4s, you're not going to have a low beam. HIDs shouldn't be used in reflector housings.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
          Well even if you do mount H11s in your H4s, you're not going to have a low beam. HIDs shouldn't be used in reflector housings.
          I get it man I really do. I'm one of those guys who believes anyone who puts HIDs in reflectors is an ******* for blinding oncoming traffic. About high vs low, you're right, in my last post I should have stated that I am okay with only having a single mode. However, like I said, I'm going to lower the aim of the housing as much as possible as to not blind oncoming traffic

The only reason I am considering this rigging setup right now is because I got this HID kit for free from my buddy because we just upgraded his car. I've done tons of research on different bulbs, ballasts, and lens and I cannot wait to get a new car where I can do a proper setup. But for now I am just looking to get something going for super cheap

Comment

You don't understand. It isn't about aim. A headlight has a cutoff. This cutoff doesn't move up along with the rest of the finely crafted (usually) beam pattern when you install an HID kit. IT gets blown out. Your hotspot will remain in the same spot, dead center. But you'll have tons of glare above it. Aiming down will just put your hotspot on the floor, ruining all distance vision. You'll still be glaring, but you're also ruining your own visibility. It isn't worth it, proper halogens will be BETTER.

Trust me. Been there, done that. Have photos if you'd like

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
              You don't understand. It isn't about aim. A headlight has a cutoff. This cutoff doesn't move up along with the rest of the finely crafted (usually) beam pattern when you install an HID kit. IT gets blown out. Your hotspot will remain in the same spot, dead center. But you'll have tons of glare above it. Aiming down will just put your hotspot on the floor, ruining all distance vision. You'll still be glaring, but you're also ruining your own visibility. It isn't worth it, proper halogens will be BETTER.

Trust me. Been there, done that. Have photos if you'd like
              I appreciate your time. Like I said, I was only considering it because I got the HIDs for free. But now I'm thinking I should just buy a decent H4/9003 LED pair like the TECHMAX on Amazon for less than $40

I've been through two pairs of Philips X-treme Vision 9003/H4 so far. They burn up pretty quick, they are decent but still leave much to be desired. I was under the assumption that these Philips in my car now were some of the best as far as basic halogens go

If you don't mind, I'd like to see the pics you got

Now to figure out what fun things I can do with these HIDs
              Last edited by cnc1; March 29th, 2019, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Yeah, there is no better than Xtreme Visions when it comes to H4. Unfortunately, H4 is just an anemic bulb type. You're welcome to try some decent LEDs. XenonDepot XtremeLEDs are known to be some of the best so far, they've beat out 2Strokes in tests Lightwerkz has done. I'm unsure about the techmax ones, got a link?

Here's one, H4 HIDs in my MR2. You can see the original hotspots on the second darker line from the bottom of the garage door, those are the OEM hotspots with the original cutoff still visible. Tons of glare above. Aiming them down to prevent blinding would mean the dimmest part of the beam pattern would go into the distance. Hence everyone loses.

And hey, one of H4 HIDs in my Corolla AE101. I wanted to give it a shot, and I did... and I tore them out the same day.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Halo is absolutely right. DO NOT convert your H4 to H11 HIDs. Horrible idea!!

LED is probably not going to be a better choice either. Nearly everything on the market is junk. And even the top global brands like Philips and Osram don't seem to have good viable LED options for US vehicles (assuming you are American). Their H4 applications are a hit or miss and do not perform optimally in ALL vehicles.

Unfortunately if high performance halogen bulbs aren't cutting it for you then you are stuck my friend. You might have a poorly designed factory lamp that just doesn't focus enough down road light that you seek. And that isn't a problem with the bulbs. Its a problem with the headlamp optics. And that can't be fixed with putting outrageous HID bulbs in it thinking that throwing my light in that reflector bucket is going to give you more visibility. It won't. The end result is a beam that is scattered to all hell and as pointed out, will glare like a mofo. Aim adjustment is not the answer to a lamp that can't focus the light properly.

Comment

H4 is a prime headlamp for a simple projector retrofit, just slap in a pair of G5R projectors and be done with it.

Comment

So I bought these TECHMAX LEDs and I have to say this is incredible. This will certainly suffice until I can do a proper projector HID setup

https://www.amazon.com/TECHMAX-Headl...dp/B07C1LKY4V/

>Sold by TechmaxDirect-US and Fulfilled by Amazon

I was referred to this brand by this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXEJVCIsCaA

Less than a year ago I replaced the entire headlight housings with some cheap eBay OEM style ones and they work pretty good especially in combination with these new LEDs. I have to say I am honestly surprised at how good this is

Comment

Looks like it has shitloads of glare

Comment

Super glare and a BUNCH of bright light too close in to the car, just a big blob of unfocused light.

Comment

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...ana-vs-techmax

Can you guys take those images and draw on them circling where you think is glare?

Comment

Can you just look at them side by side and see where the glare is? It's glaringly obvious to see where the halogen light stops and where the LED light keeps going is where the glare is. But it won't matter what we show you, you'll only see what you want to see and are blind to the truth.

Comment

Working...
                              X