Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hylux HID Lights Not Brighter Than Halogens - Possible Causes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hylux HID Lights Not Brighter Than Halogens - Possible Causes?

Hi everyone, been doing some research online for a while, but can't seem to figure this out...

I've installed an HID kit (paid $200 CAD - comes with Hylux 2A88 35W ballasts, and CN Light 9005 5000K HID bulbs - bought from a reputable dealer) in my 2013 Rav4 (halogen projector - yes, not ideal, but it's not a reflector housing). Unfortunately, it's quite dim...and I've read that these aren't some low-end poor quality bulbs/ballasts. After parking beside the same Rav4 with stock Halogens, the brightness is the same! Just different color.

The cutoff isn't great either after a few feet.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this may be? I have the option to return them, but would rather make these work as I do a lot of night driving.

Please see attachments for what it looks like. Any help is much appreciated

(left is halogen, right is HID)

Perhaps your ballasts aren't providing full power to the bulbs. Or maybe your bulbs aren't high quality (even though their Cnlight) or you got a bad batch. This is one of the bad things about installing any kind of aftermarket HID system. Its just a hit or miss with quality.

Either way, rip those things out and return them for a refund.

Buy a pair of Philips 9011 bulbs, perform the notch mod and you should have plenty of extra light.

Comment

Maybe you're getting DRL power and not full Low beam power. I'm not sure.

Comment

Nah DRL power would just make the ballasts flicker or not fire.

That close to the wall isn't a good test becaues you can't see brightness, both hotspots are overexposed. Back up a bit. The hotspot shape changed, it might be a lot brighter at a distance.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

I bought Hylux 35W 2A88 from aliexpress and my DLT F3 ballasts laughed at it. In fact, the 2A88s were slightly better than el cheapo ballasts. The cheap H11 bulbs didn't last long after the F3s were powering them (colour shifted into pink).
          Although, I had H1 CNLight bulbs being powered by said F3 ballasts and they were fine.

Comment

Originally posted by niZmO_Man View Post
            I bought Hylux 35W 2A88 from aliexpress and my DLT F3 ballasts laughed at it. In fact, the 2A88s were slightly better than el cheapo ballasts. The cheap H11 bulbs didn't last long after the F3s were powering them (colour shifted into pink).
            Although, I had H1 CNLight bulbs being powered by said F3 ballasts and they were fine.

I bet the hylux ballasts you received were not legit , the real 2A88 ballasts are waayy better/brighter then cheap ballasts lol

Comment

Originally posted by chilly731 View Post
              Hi everyone, been doing some research online for a while, but can't seem to figure this out...

I've installed an HID kit (paid $200 CAD - comes with Hylux 2A88 35W ballasts, and CN Light 9005 5000K HID bulbs - bought from a reputable dealer) in my 2013 Rav4 (halogen projector - yes, not ideal, but it's not a reflector housing). Unfortunately, it's quite dim...and I've read that these aren't some low-end poor quality bulbs/ballasts. After parking beside the same Rav4 with stock Halogens, the brightness is the same! Just different color.

The cutoff isn't great either after a few feet.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this may be? I have the option to return them, but would rather make these work as I do a lot of night driving.

Please see attachments for what it looks like. Any help is much appreciated

(left is halogen, right is HID)

I would try different bulbs , XD or NHK , depending what CN bulbs you got , imo the lower grade CN light bulbs are not the greatest , the bubble version is defiantly better

Comment

Originally posted by bctileguy View Post

I bet the hylux ballasts you received were not legit , the real 2A88 ballasts are waayy better/brighter then cheap ballasts lol
                Quite possible. But are they as fast as DLT?

Comment

Working...
                X