Strange extra step at sides of beam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange extra step at sides of beam

Hi all, been a long time reader, first time poster. My first retrofit was FX-R 3.0 in Depo W203 Mercedes C Class headlights see pic below.

I regretfully sold the car then bought another, and with the same headlights I bought some NHK G5-R projectors, Im using the same Osram CBI bulbs and the same shrouds, but this time I get an extra step on each side of the beam. see below (sorry for bad pics).

(in the above image i had them aligned wrong, ive since manufactured brackets to straighten them. But you can see the step on the right)

(this image shows the extra step on the right side of my front door)

Its really puzzled me, The only thing different in this setup is the projector. Its not the headlight lens as it does it without. It happens on both projectors too.

Ive tried re-seating the bulb but no change. Anyone have any ideas or had a similar problem?

[EDIT]

I think I may have sussed it, I think these G5-R projectors have a wider beam and must be reflecting off the inside of the headlight - the walls of the tunnel the shroud sits in. see below. Im not sure how to stop this other than painting the walls matt black.

Last edited by andy.alias; March 9th, 2019, 04:23 PM.

It does look like a reflection, that's a very long and narrow passage for the beam. Doesn't hurt though, right?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

I put a bit of tape on the headlight to stop it blinding anyone while I figure out where itís coming from and how to solve it.

Im starting to think thatís not the problem now though, if you follow the path from the door to the tape it appears to come from the projector itself rather than the wall of the tunnel.

Comment

This is a photo from the point on the my front door that has glare, you can see the white tape that was used to block the glare is in the upper portion of the projector

Comment

I found a video on YouTube of a comparison of a few G5 Projectors and saw that the G5-R using the same Osram CBI bulbs has the same extra step, Must be something to do with the edge or the shield.

Link to vid

Comment

My G5-r has the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by bctileguy View Post
              My G5-r has the same thing
              What bulbs do you use?

Comment

Bulbs shouldn't significantly change beam pattern.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                  Bulbs shouldn't significantly change beam pattern.
                  if I put in a 0.7mm spacer in front of the bulb how would that affect the beam?

Comment

I can't say for SURE but I think it would make it much narrower. You can try but I think it would hurt beam pattern.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Ive got some 0.7mm stainless steel spacers and also some 1.5mm aluminium spacers I plan on replacing the springs with, only trouble is I cant undo the lock nut, must have put it on too tight.

Comment

Originally posted by andy.alias View Post

What bulbs do you use?
                        ​It doesn't matter what bulbs you use ,I get the same pattern with CN light 8000k, morimoto 6500k and osram CBB's​​​​​​

Comment

I've seen that "extra step" before, but mostly on halogen projectors. I believe that step is meant to help illuminate off the side of the road to the right, and is there to compensate for the "drop" of the central cutoff steps. It appears to be far enough away from the right cutoff step that it shouldn't interfere with oncoming traffic on most roads, so I wouldn't worry about glare.

Comment

I read through the D2S 4.0 vs G5-R thread last night, and saw some people complained about bowing. When I was trying to fit the spacers (too big outer diameter) today I noticed mine were bowed but upwards, I watched the link in that thread that showed what happens when you put shims (or bend tabs) on the the bulbs. Iíve put two little 1mm shims on the bottom of the bulbs which has lowered the hotspot slightly - but not so much that thereís none in the high beam, it looks good now. If I can get somewhere at night where there is a nice wall I can take a pic I will post it. I would have taken pics today but I was short on time. I still have the extra step but itís not as prominent now.

I would advise anyone unsure of their projectors performance to get to a wall and wiggle their bulbs, Im just shocked at how it affects things like the bow or the cutoff, also distance from the wall is also a factor. I assume my Osram bulbs are perfectly aligned but the bulb seat cup on the G5-R isnít correctly levelled.
                            Last edited by andy.alias; March 15th, 2019, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andy.alias View Post
                              I read through the D2S 4.0 vs G5-R thread last night, and saw some people complained about bowing. When I was trying to fit the spacers (too big outer diameter) today I noticed mine were bowed but upwards, I watched the link in that thread that showed what happens when you put shims (or bend tabs) on the the bulbs. Iíve put two little 1mm shims on the bottom of the bulbs which has lowered the hotspot slightly - but not so much that thereís none in the high beam, it looks good now. If I can get somewhere at night where there is a nice wall I can take a pic I will post it. I would have taken pics today but I was short on time. I still have the extra step but itís not as prominent now.

I would advise anyone unsure of their projectors performance to get to a wall and wiggle their bulbs, Im just shocked at how it affects things like the bow or the cutoff, also distance from the wall is also a factor. I assume my Osram bulbs are perfectly aligned but the bulb seat cup on the G5-R isnít correctly levelled.
                              yes bulb alignment affects the cutoff big time, but all G5 projectors have bowed (down) output. if yours are bowing up , you need to shim your bulb or figure out what's causing it .The G5-r bulb seat should be perfectly aligned , maybe it's faulty . My g5-r and G5-exl bulb seats are perfect , but I still get that strange double step output like you do. as long as your cbb's are legit , they will be perfectly aligned .

Comment

Working...
                              X