D1S for 2003 Seville?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1S for 2003 Seville?

Hello everyone, first post but I've been digging through the site over the years and love all the information provided!

This past summer I picked up a 2003 Cadillac Seville for cheap to use as a winter beater, and it's got factory D1S projectors. When I got it I could barely see at night, however the lenses were in terrible shape. I restored the lenses the best I could (500 grit, 800, 1000, 3000, medium polish and finally a fine polish) and that helped a ton, but I'm quite sure that after 130k miles and 16 years the factory bulbs are as tired as can be.

It looks to me like the CBI's are probably my best bet, however they're a little pricey for a "beater" car, although the rest of the car is in good shape and I do plan on keeping it as a spare car so if that's my only logical option I'm not against it. That being said, are there any other decent D1S bulbs that will do "ok" duty in an "ok" beater car? I can't imagine anything is worst than what I have now, but I don't want to have to yank the lights out 3 times because of flicker or some other nonsense.

So what say you, all mighty HIDPLANET minds?

Osram or Philips
    $160/pair for CBI from Lightwerkz or TRS, versus $72 each for Osram standard from powerbulbs, about $20 difference.
    You can take your chances with cheaper bulbs, but I would "spend once and forget about it for 5 years" and get Osram standard (for the colour).

Comment

Bulb upgrade is great but the sevilles come with Hella E55 projectors and they are notorious for the bowls burning over a period of time of use.. Personally i would do a evoxr 2.0 swap with better performance..

Comment

Originally posted by 88kmcneal View Post
        Bulb upgrade is great but the sevilles come with Hella E55 projectors and they are notorious for the bowls burning over a period of time of use.. Personally i would do a evoxr 2.0 swap with better performance..
        That's funny, I was actually curious about just what "brand" of projector Cadillac used, and low and behold I got an answer.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I kind of jumped the gun and went ahead and ordered CBI's from HID Concept for $127 shipped. Best deal I found anywhere, and from what I read on here he's reputable. I'll take some before and after pics for everyone to see. I know it's an old car in the world of lighting, but I figured if the original bulbs lasted 15 years I should just go OEM quality.

Comment

You made the right choice when it comes to bulbs. OEM is always best. Let's just hope the projector bowls aren't burnt. If they are, your output will still be bad.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
            You made the right choice when it comes to bulbs. OEM is always best. Let's just hope the projector bowls aren't burnt. If they are, your output will still be bad.
            Let's hope so. They're supposed to be delivered to the shop today, but it started snowing AGAIN and traffic is already jacked.

If my projector bowls are burnt, how bad of a swap is it to the EVOX-R 2.0? I have no problem taking the headlights apart. Also, everything I've found refers to the E55's as bi-xenon, which my car certainly does not have. It has regular halogen hi's inboard of the projectors. Did Cadillac just not wire up the shutters on their version of the E55's?

Comment

Huh, maybe they're not E55s. Unfortunately my knowledge of the Seville is quite literally 0. So I'm not sure if the EvoX-R 20 is a direct swap. I am not sure if there are low beam only E55s but it is a possibility.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
              2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Well, the bulbs came today! I must say the packaging is beautiful. Unfortunately I won't be able to install them yet, the car went out on loan to a friend in need last night.

I'll make sure and get pictures before and after for comparison.

Comment

Working...
                X