2017 ford edge looking for upgrade ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 ford edge looking for upgrade ideas

First post thanks for the add. I have a 2017 ford edge that has H11 projectors that are terrible so I am looking to upgrade but they are DLR's with PWM's so, not everything is going to work. From what I understand HID's are my best bet with projectors. Looking at option for the high beams also (9005) Thanks ahead of time for the help. The rabbit hole is getting deep quick LOL

You're right. Those halogen projectors (Valeo) in the Edge, Fusion and other vehicles are pretty crappy. The bad thing with that projector design is that LEDs won't do better and neither will HID. Assuming of course that you meant putting H11 based xenon bulbs in your headlights.

A HID bulb will glare *badly* in this projector despite giving more light in the rest of the lower beam. There just isn't enough glare control built into this Valeo projector. A H9 is your best bet but will require just a smidge of reaim downward.

For the high beam a HIR1-9011 Philips is your best bet for true performance.

If I were you, I'd retrofit a set of good xenon D2S projectors or a good set of bi-LED projectors and take those horrible halogen projectors out!

Comment

I was hoping this wasn't the case, not looking to spend 2k for a lighting upgrade. So DD SL1 for highs and a good HID for lows wouldn't work that well for PnP? I definitely don't want to blind people I want to see down the road

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
        You're right. Those halogen projectors (Valeo) in the Edge, Fusion and other vehicles are pretty crappy. The bad thing with that projector design is that LEDs won't do better and neither will HID. Assuming of course that you meant putting H11 based xenon bulbs in your headlights.

A HID bulb will glare *badly* in this projector despite giving more light in the rest of the lower beam. There just isn't enough glare control built into this Valeo projector. A H9 is your best bet but will require just a smidge of reaim downward.

For the high beam a HIR1-9011 Philips is your best bet for true performance.

If I were you, I'd retrofit a set of good xenon D2S projectors or a good set of bi-LED projectors and take those horrible halogen projectors out!
        Any good threads I can read to help me out down this rabbit hole lol

Comment

Originally posted by diesel97 View Post
          I was hoping this wasn't the case, not looking to spend 2k for a lighting upgrade. So DD SL1 for highs and a good HID for lows wouldn't work that well for PnP? I definitely don't want to blind people I want to see down the road
          SL1 highs won't beat out a HIR1 bulb.

HID pnp is NOT recommended for the lows. As I said *way* too much glare in these projectors. Nearly double the federal standard.

I'll see if I can run some comparisons later this evening.

Comment

So I had to chance to run some tests. The following images represent the comparison between a H11, H9 and HID in the Ford projector.

Important notes:
            - Aim for the H11 was set in accordance to the visual optical aim type VOR.
            - Glare was measured at the TWO test point locations defined in the federal lighting standard.
            - For the H9, the aim was set downward until one of the two glare test points was right at the legal limit (1000 candela and 700 candela)

So I take back what I said previously about using a H9. Because the aim has to be lowered slightly to avoid excessive glare, this results in a loss of distance and a gain of foreground. And because the tabs of the H9 are a little different than a H11, it appears to place the filament in a slightly different location optically which results in the hotspot moved to the left of vertical.

For the HID, I used the same aim position as the H9 because it didn't matter where I placed the aim. There was simply too much glare. Aiming it down a few more degrees would still result in glare that is non-compliant. Plus putting all the massive amount of light further into the foreground.

Comment

For the high beam comparison, I thought I could use my 9006 SL1 bulb but the heatsink was preventing it from locking in place because it was rubbing on the 9006 bulb mount. Not sure if a 9005 SL1 would be any different. So I instead used a another LED bulb that had no mounting issues.

I only took one reading and that was directly in the center bulls eye (H-V point). But the actual peak is located slightly to the LEFT of the center mark because this is how most reflector high beams are engineered (see HERE for previous discussion). You'll see that the LED bulb positions the peak a little higher than the H-V point (because of its inability to truly mimic the optical point) while both halogen bulbs keep the intensity resting on the horizontal line which will have better long distance reach on the road.

Measurements:

LED = +5.1%
              HIR1 = +14.8%

Comment

Thanks for all the test, I see what you are talking. I guess I need to do some more homework. Really don't want to bake the lens, time to look for option 3 LOL. By the way, what HID and LED's did you use for the test? Again thanks, is this place always a ghost town LOL

Comment

Working...
                X