Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra light projection above cutoff on Akkon aftermarket headlights for Infiniti G37

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra light projection above cutoff on Akkon aftermarket headlights for Infiniti G37

After waiting for G37 sedan aftermarket headlights to show up on the market for a while, I bought and installed some Akkon brand headlights on my car recently. They look good for the most part, despite the advertised DRLs not working (I'm thinking this was due to them trying to pass off the parking lights as DRLs, as the DRL image they have looks exactly like the parking light), but there is something wrong with the projection pattern from the low beam. Both lights project a rectangle far above the standard projector cutoff. It's pretty much just as bright as the actual projection, but is far higher than any light should be. It constantly stays right above the cutoff with adjustment, so it's pointing way too high, and has to be causing pretty terrible glare. The top of this rectangle about hits as high as the traffic lights across an intersection. The picture shows it from the passenger side light, and the other side is exactly the same.

The lights use two square lenses for the same low beam bulb, and a separate H7 lens for the high beam. The stock lights used the same D2S bulb for both the low and high beam. I just transferred over the same D2S that worked fine in the stock lights because these also called for D2S. Could this be some mixup where these actually need D2R, and because of the lack of the shield on the bulb itself I'm getting that extra light projection? Are they actually designed this way, to light up street signs and other things higher up than the road itself? I can't imagine that's the case, because it's far too bright to be up that high, but somehow both lights are doing exactly the same thing.

Customer service has been totally unhelpful with this, like they don't understand what I'm talking about, or they have no understanding of the technical function of the lights. After they offered replacement for this problem and the lack of DRLs, I asked if these were defective in a way that would produce this problem and if a replacement would fix it, and they said, "It could very well alleviate the issue." That did not inspire confidence.

Welcome to HID Planet!

Unfortunately, as you've learned, most aftermarket headlights suck. Like, really suck. The stock projectors on the G37 sedan are fantastic, so you really should stick with those. If you want better looks, you can do a blackout and Diode Dynamics halos. Lightwerkz has done some G37s (really nice too) so you can always hit them up.

Honestly that square of light looks like an intentional design choice, but a very poor one. Looks almost like a squirrel spotter? Wayy too bright to be safe.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

It is a bit hard to see, as the image seem to be taken with the projector relatively close to the cardboard wall; the beam pattern on the road needs to be seen on a wall that is quite a bit farther than that for a better assessment.

Having said that, it seems odd that the squirrel finder also features an elbow (aka "step"); I thought if the image is cast by an RV shield, it wouldn't have the elbow feature.

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Okay, squirrel finder, it's good to have a name for it. Sorry I don't have a better picture for it, I'll see if I can get one on a wall from farther away. The thing is damn bright, I can see that squirrel finder's sharp shape on walls, poles, and street signs ahead of me. For what it's worth, I haven't been flashed by anyone in oncoming traffic yet, but I still think it must be causing some pretty bad glare for them. Is there a way to get rid of these things without taking the whole headlight apart? I did fine with the projection from the stock lights, that just had the regular cutoff down low. Maybe I'd like to have those if they were dimmer, but either way I don't want them this bright.

Thanks for the help, I'm new to all of this, it's good to talk to people with experience with this stuff.

Comment

That sign light box (aka squirrel finder) looks fine to me.

If you notice the RIGHT side which starts at the cutoff elbow is brighter than the LEFT side which is good. Because the right side will illuminate signs on the right shoulder. While the left side is less bright, to keep glare from drivers but just bright enough to light up retroreflective signs on the left side.

Comment

I'm not really comfortable that squirrel finder is. Is there a way I could make it dimmer or remove it without opening the headlight? Preferably without taking the headlight back out?

Comment

Nope. To remove it, you'd either need to cover it with aluminum tape from the rear (remove headlight) or open the headlight.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
              2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by NewHerbieBestHerbie View Post
                I'm not really comfortable that squirrel finder is. Is there a way I could make it dimmer or remove it without opening the headlight? Preferably without taking the headlight back out?
                A squirrel finder can be designed a number of ways. Chances are, your aftermarket projector just copied the most common design, which is to create an aluminum "ramp" that faces the bulb (see HERE). Underneath the ramp is a gap that allows light to reflect upward from the bottom of the bowl. It directs this captured diffused light towards an opening at the front of the shield assembly (see HERE). In order the block this light you'll need to cover that opening on the shield which is quite difficult to do from the back of the headlight through the tiny bulb hole.

However, as I stated previously, there is nothing wrong with your headlight, other than *appearing* to be a visual nuisance when you shine your beams on a vertical surface. I will admit that there does seem to be a little more unnecessary light towards the upper right hand corner but this region will fall onto the trees above (and some overhead signs) due to the high angle.

The red box below represents where the eyes of oncoming drivers will fall into at roughly a distance of 50-100 meters. The green box is the region which will reach road signage on the right shoulder. Any area upwards of these boxes will still reach other signage at closer distances. So if your concerned with glare to other drivers, don't be.

Comment

Working...
                X