Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dim lights

Hi,
    i need help diagnosing my dim xenon lights.
    Car is Peugeot 407 that came with HID lights. D1S bulbs.
    Lights seemed very dim, when the road was damp, it was impossible to see anything at night. Old bulbs were 5 years old. Installed new Philips Vision bulbs - 4300k and it got just a bit better, but still, lights arent as sharp as i see others.
    Headlights are polished.
    Alternator is fine, when running, charge is 14,10 volts.

What to do next ? Lens? Ballast?

Thanks.

Welcome to HID Planet!

It sounds like your bowls, the reflective parts of the headlight internals, are toast.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Doesnt sound good. Reflectors usually come with complete headlights or can i change those separately ?
      And can i rule out that it is a ballast problem ?

Comment

Ballasts usually don't go dim, they die, but it's a possibility. Yes the bowls are part of the headlight, but luckily you can open up your headlights and replace the projector unit inside. This will also get you better output than even when new.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Awesome, thanks. I will try to my headlights and check whats happening inside. Never even thought about that. Thanks again

Comment

Glad to help! This is what you're looking for Left is how a bowl should look, right is a burnt bowl. A borescope would work well I think.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Here's what mine looked like after 5 years in the Outback

Comment

Yes, you were right, reflectors are burnt. Damn. Okay, so can these be re-chromed or something? Do i need to buy new headlights ? Are reflectors/projector units headlight specific or do D1S bulbs have their own?
                Last edited by diskett; January 9th, 2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Rechroming exists but is very hard to find. Projector replacements can be found that take D1S, whether it's OEM (RX350s from the 14+ Mustang) or aftermarket:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...d3s-51789.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...AbTest=ae803_3

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Better to clean the ground cable connection, detect if you found the brown bulb and exchange it with a new one. Also, replace the lens if required.

Comment

Working...
                    X