Upgrading to Hella H4 housings in an old Conversion Van

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petes67bird View Post

Crossgolf I see you have an outback. I did an install and review of a 2015 Subaru outback hid kit from xenondepot. They did not provide the kit but reached out to me to use my review on their website, it's still up there which is pretty cool. I enjoy lighting but probably have about 5 percent of the necessary knowledge of all these new technologies. I am an old gearhead that mainly wrenches on vehicles from the 50's and 60's.
    Yeah I used to have that Outback and tha tretrofit for it took a lot of time and patience but it turned out great. Still miss the Outback sometimes. Now I drive a Lexus RX400h on which I just replaced the projectors and did some LED work.

Subaru Outback retrofit:
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
    License plate lights with dual brightness:
    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      But they won't fry for similar reasons that HIDs fry reflectors.
      Interesting: what do you mean?

Comment

I would probably go with an high watt halogen over a led solution - especially for the look and potential problems in case of control. How often do you drive the vehicle and how many miles with lights on?

Comment

Originally posted by Starflex978 View Post

Interesting: what do you mean?
          Standard low/high beam halogen bulbs (50W/60W) "heat" up (i.e. infra red wavelength) reflectors, in which excess amount and exposure could damage the reflector coating/surface. The arc in standard HID bulbs (35W) emit more UV radiation, which could also damage the reflector. HID bulbs emit IR radiation as well, but supposedly not to the extent of a halogen bulb. Either way, they both emit potentially damaging radiation to the reflector.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Like satrya says, HIDs fry reflectors with UV. That's the most common damage you see. Excess heat isn't as much of a worry, most headlights can survive some more heat.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
            2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

So to recap. If I go led, I reduce the risk to damage my new hella 5x7 housings. If I go 100/80w bulb, the heat may damage the reflectors but due to my upgraded harness, all my connectors will be fine.

In the end since I already purchased the housings and the upgraded harness, which method will "most likely" provide with better light on the road for visibility. The xenondepots xtreme h4 led vs hella 100/80w halogen? I can care less about light color temperatures, I am looking for the ability to avoid people or animals on the road as right now, I can barely see bicycle riders.

Comment

Go halogen

Comment

Originally posted by niZmO_Man View Post
                  Go halogen
                  I purchased the hella 100/80w bulbs off Amazon. Figure I will try these out and only be out 13 dollars if anything

Comment

The distance from the halogen bulb filament to the reflectors of a 5x7 reflector unit may be just enough to spare it from damage. The other thing about upgraded wattage halogen bulb is that the bulb's lifespan may be shorter than you'd like.
                    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                      The other thing about upgraded wattage halogen bulb is that the bulb's lifespan may be shorter than you'd like.
                      Agree - hence my question How often do you drive the vehicle and how many miles with lights on?

I ran the 100/80 (and the Philips 130/100) in my old car, with dedicated wiring. Besides the lifespan that was not great, the difference was remarkable. I am not sure that using leds will give a much better output, esecially considering th other issues with geometry & Co.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post

Standard low/high beam halogen bulbs (50W/60W) "heat" up (i.e. infra red wavelength) reflectors, in which excess amount and exposure could damage the reflector coating/surface. The arc in standard HID bulbs (35W) emit more UV radiation, which could also damage the reflector. HID bulbs emit IR radiation as well, but supposedly not to the extent of a halogen bulb. Either way, they both emit potentially damaging radiation to the reflector.
                        Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                        Like satrya says, HIDs fry reflectors with UV. That's the most common damage you see. Excess heat isn't as much of a worry, most headlights can survive some more heat.
                        ..and that makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks. In fact, when you do arc welding, one of the health issues is the UV emission coming from the arc....

Comment

Agree - hence my question How often do you drive the vehicle and how many miles with lights on?

I ran the 100/80 (and the Philips 130/100) in my old car, with dedicated wiring. Besides the lifespan that was not great, the difference was remarkable. I am not sure that using leds will give a much better output, esecially considering th other issues with geometry & Co.
                          This is not an everyday vehicle, it's a weekend/vacation cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by petes67bird View Post

This is not an everyday vehicle, it's a weekend/vacation cruiser.
                            Petes,

So the longevity of the bulbs should not represent a big concern. I think you made the right choice, also under a legal point of view: indeed, the H4 100/80 are not road-legal bulbs, but they are waaaay harder to spot compared to LED bulbs.

Comment

Petes,

So the longevity of the bulbs should not represent a big concern. I think you made the right choice, also under a legal point of view: indeed, the H4 100/80 are not road-legal bulbs, but they are waaaay harder to spot compared to LED bulbs.
                              I bought one pair right now. If I like the output, I will buy a backup set and keep it in the vehicle. I have plenty of storage in the van.

Comment

I think you will like them.

Also the CRI of an halogen bulb is higher that a led lamp, which will help a bit too.

There are first tier bulbs with higher wattage (130/100) - e.g. philips, Narva and probably others.

I donít expect a massive difference between them and what you already have, but I remember that I had the data sheet and (going by memory) the high beam for the 130W @13.2 was rated 2800/3000 lm.

Comment

Working...
                                X