Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap and Easy Bench Power Supply?

Hi all,

I'm doing some research for my next retro project. I'm planning on starting fresh and I will NOT do as I did last time - and use my car battery as a power supply to test and align my projectors. That did not turn out well for me and is 50% of the reason why I need new headlights.

Take a look at these 2 DC power supplies:

Pyramid Pyle Ps14kx Ac/dc Regulated 13.8v Dc 14 Amp Power Supply Ps-14kx

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0105RH00A...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Or this

Audiotek - Output 16A Amp Mobile 13.8 Volt DC Power Supply AT-PS16

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DERMBFS...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I do not want to spend $100+ for a PSU. And yes, I tried using a computer power supply, and that failed miserably. Plus, either one of these could power other hoby things in the future (like car audio.) I was just concerned about amperage/current draw. I want the PSU to juice up at least one Morimoto x35 ballast. I do not have any OEM ballasts at this time.

Any thoughts?

I use one of these. Not as fancy or safe, but plenty powerful to fire two OEM ballasts. http://a.co/d/3NW1TES

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      I use one of these. Not as fancy or safe, but plenty powerful to fire two OEM ballasts. http://a.co/d/3NW1TES

Thanks homie. I did actually see this PSU in my search this week. Looks I have to buy a power plug, trim back the insulation and attach in order to power this thing on. And I assume that I would have to buy and attach alligator clips and such? I don't mind a little simple work. I took 2 years of electronics in High School, haha. I can use this. Which terminals do you use? The (+) and (-) that are next to each other? I don't know why this PSU has 3 different terminals for (+) & (-).
      Last edited by OMGOrangeSi; December 20th, 2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Yeah you buy any 3 prong power wire. I reused one from an old PC. Cut the end off, pulled out the 3 wires, and stuck them in. And yes, you add plugs or clips as you need. Fairly simple, not fancy, but it works and it's pretty powerful. 3 different terminals to run 3 different things. 3 positives next to each other, then 3 negatives next to each other. You can use one of each or all six. You can attach 9006 plugs directly to the power supply too, for a safer connection without bare alligator clips. That's what I do.

Another option is to put this thing into a hobby box and wire a switch to it. I saw one guy throw it in an ammo can, drill holes all over the can, and put a flush mount switch, banana style receptables, and even a volt meter. I'd like to do something similar. You know, self contained box.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I use one of those super small car battery jump kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Malibuguy79 View Post
            I use one of those super small car battery jump kits.
            I saw that recommendation in another post. But they arenít cheap. My (new) wife is an accountant, so hard to justify that at this time. Hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by OMGOrangeSi View Post

I saw that recommendation in another post. But they arenít cheap. My (new) wife is an accountant, so hard to justify that at this time. Hahaha.
              These days they are a bargain compared to what I paid for mine about 5 years ago. Still not cheap tho

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...97.m4902.l9144

$17.90 shipped for a 20 amp supply, but I don't think it has a AC cable. Got any old extension cords you can cut up, maybe even something from a dollar store or Harbor Freight.
                Originally posted by HK45
                I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Yeah you buy any 3 prong power wire. I reused one from an old PC. Cut the end off, pulled out the 3 wires, and stuck them in. And yes, you add plugs or clips as you need. Fairly simple, not fancy, but it works and it's pretty powerful. 3 different terminals to run 3 different things. 3 positives next to each other, then 3 negatives next to each other. You can use one of each or all six. You can attach 9006 plugs directly to the power supply too, for a safer connection without bare alligator clips. That's what I do.

Another option is to put this thing into a hobby box and wire a switch to it. I saw one guy throw it in an ammo can, drill holes all over the can, and put a flush mount switch, banana style receptables, and even a volt meter. I'd like to do something similar. You know, self contained box.
                  Okay Iím trying to buy this soon. Question is, How do you wire up the ballasts or halogen light bulbs to it for testing purposes?? Can I use the HD Relay Harness? I want to use my high beam halogen as a baseline for aiming the projectors.

Comment

Just two wires, positive and negative, from the terminals on the power supply to the halogen bulb or ballast. No relay harness.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Just two wires, positive and negative, from the terminals on the power supply to the halogen bulb or ballast. No relay harness.
                      Oh. Thatís easier than I thought. I was overthinking it. *♂️ Thanks B.

Comment

Not sure if you already purchased something for this, but this PSU is variable from 10v-14v with very stable regulation. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...55B71YGR&psc=1

Comment

I just did a wee bit of testing on the tune up of my first build. I used a Group27 battery, and my battery charger. A significantly smaller battery would do, but a big one was what I could get my paws on. They have the advantage of having 5/16" stud terminals. Part of what I do for a living is the battery for this and stuff like it: https://insideevs.com/chevy-ecopo-ca...-second-video/

If you're set on a power supply, make sure it is good for the start up/inrush that you'll encounter.
                          cheers,
                          Douglas

Comment

Working...
                          X