H7 HID Bulb Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H7 HID Bulb Help!

I have a 2014 Ford F150 with aftermarket projector Headlights. OEM was halogen. The headlights I ordered:

(https://www.protuninglab.com/09fof1r...xoC2awQAvD_BwE)

They come with a very poor H7 HID with crummy balasts. I have been through 6 different replacement balasts all in about 3 months. So I switched to the GTR Lighting H7 LED Bulbs. They worked OK for a little while, being reliable was all I was worried about, until I realized how dim they were. They are not bright at all. I now drive around with my brights on and nobody knows the difference. I can barely see at night, and with very dark tint, I know i need something brighter.

I am now investigating how to go brighter, and the best option I have found is an HID kit. So they were originally 55W HID 6000k Xenon Lights. I want to go 70W HIDs, but have not found any in the H7 Format. Any Suggestions?

I need ultra bright and reliable. My budget is about $400.

Any Recommendations?

Let's get a few things out of the way. Wattage isn't that important. Optics are. The projectors in those housings suck, that's why you can't see well. No matter how much light you put through them, of course they're going to suck if the optics suck.

They're also halogen projectors, hence the H7 bulb type. You should never put anything more than 35W through halogen projectors because they'll burn and become even more useless. 70W will cook ANY projector and isn't recommended for automotive use at all.

Your budget is high. Quality HID kits are only around $120. Do yourself a favor and get a quality set of PROJECTORS and install them into your aftermarket headlights. This will replace the crap optics with quality optics. From there you want a quality 35W HID kit to make sure you're getting a full 35W of output through quality bulbs.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Sounds like your cheap halogen projectors are already burnt (the bowls). As Halo suggested, split them and replace the projectors with something good (D2S preferred). Speak to Lightwerkz.
      Also, why tint your windshield? It's banned in most first world countries for a reason.

Comment

if someone sells you an hid kit for 400$.... you got scam hard!
        just make sure its 55w and AC Canbus ballast. price should be max 100$ for the entire kit... 2 bulb and 2 ballast. You can find them online.

Comment

I paid $20 per ballast for F3 Fastbright, shits all over all aftermarket 35W ballasts and almost on par with Denso slims.

Comment

Your problem is your aftermarket headlights, they usually come with crappy projectors.

I'm sure they suck because they are H7, so they put a dummy plastic shit on it. If they were good they would come with D2S or alike D series projectors.

It's better to have OEM headlights with real halogen projectors like Hellas E55 than this aftermarket ones crappy stuff.

But you can retrofit real HID projectors on them, if the rest of the casing worth it.

Chevrolet Astra 2.0
            OEM Hella E55 frosted lens with 4-position Eletric Leveling
            Yeaky 5500k @ Hyluxtek ASIC DSP 50W

Comment

Originally posted by niZmO_Man View Post
              Sounds like your cheap halogen projectors are already burnt (the bowls). As Halo suggested, split them and replace the projectors with something good (D2S preferred). Speak to Lightwerkz.
              Also, why tint your windshield? It's banned in most first world countries for a reason.
              Thanks! Funny you mention the tinted windshield, I run a landscpaing company and we use iPads to do all of our paperwork. Unfortunately when intense sunlight hits the screen of our iPads, you can't see crap. So my solution, window tint.

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                Let's get a few things out of the way. Wattage isn't that important. Optics are. The projectors in those housings suck, that's why you can't see well. No matter how much light you put through them, of course they're going to suck if the optics suck.

They're also halogen projectors, hence the H7 bulb type. You should never put anything more than 35W through halogen projectors because they'll burn and become even more useless. 70W will cook ANY projector and isn't recommended for automotive use at all.

Your budget is high. Quality HID kits are only around $120. Do yourself a favor and get a quality set of PROJECTORS and install them into your aftermarket headlights. This will replace the crap optics with quality optics. From there you want a quality 35W HID kit to make sure you're getting a full 35W of output through quality bulbs.
                Originally posted by Alberto View Post
                Your problem is your aftermarket headlights, they usually come with crappy projectors.

I'm sure they suck because they are H7, so they put a dummy plastic shit on it. If they were good they would come with D2S or alike D series projectors.

It's better to have OEM headlights with real halogen projectors like Hellas E55 than this aftermarket ones crappy stuff.

But you can retrofit real HID projectors on them, if the rest of the casing worth it.
                I have come to the conclusion that doing a morimoto Retrofit will be the best option. Should I go bigger for a better beam pattern or smaller? I want bright. I live in Oklahoma, and we have VERY dark backroads and deer pop out all the time. I want distance on my high beams, as well as a great cutoff line. Should i go 3 inch projector or 2.5?

Comment

The Mini H1 7.0 is a great little projector for its size, no doubt about it. But the 3-inch Mini D2S 5.0 is a lot better overall. Much brighter hotspot for distance and better high beams. I would definitely go with that. If you want to save a little cash, the Lightwerkz G5-R is sliiiightly better than the D2S 5.0 and is cheaper.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                  2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

OP, did you ever retro fit new projectors into your aftermarket housing? I bought a set of ANZO lights for my 2016 F150 and I'm having the same frustration of crap optics. If you did fit new projectors, did they bolt up nicely or did you have to do a complete custom job?

Comment

Working...
                    X