No announcement yet.

So, I can't pull my D2S Igniter out...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I can't pull my D2S Igniter out...

Any ideas on how to get it off?

I was finishing up my retrofit, went to do one final rotational alignment test before putting the lenses back on. Naturally, one of the crappy Morimoto D2S Igniters fails already. (Although I can't test it because...) When I went to swap them to verify it was the igniter, I can't get the other igniter off. (The one that works!) If I use all my strength I can twist it into the "unlocked" position, but even with tools I can't actually remove it from the xenon base. It feels like it's welded on there now.

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. It should be easy, honestly I don't have any tips except wiggle like a madman.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. It should be easy, honestly I don't have any tips except wiggle like a madman.
      It's ridiculously difficult, in fact I think I wiggled and yanked on the igniter so hard that the xenon bulb came out of alignment! Which I can't fix because the igniter won't come off... It didn't go on very easily like they're supposed to, so I'm worried it was a flawed production and now it's been fused to the bulb. Like I said, I twisted to unlock it and triple checked that the knobs on the D2S bulb were unlocked, used a pair of pliers and pulled with all my strength. It didn't even budge.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Have you resorted to removing the headlight housing from the vehicle? Was there some part that snagged/caught part of the igniter?
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
            Have you resorted to removing the headlight housing from the vehicle? Was there some part that snagged/caught part of the igniter?
            Unfortunately it was stuck before I even reinstalled the headlights back in the vehicle. I had the headlight on my lap for 15 minutes just trying to twist and wiggle the thing off. I think I'm going to have to wait until the weekend then basically destroy the D2S igniter in hopes of salvaging the bulb. I wonder if using a heat gun would help somehow? Or is that too dangerous?

Comment

No danger to it, might soften up the plastics. More risk of damage, but no inherent danger.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Well, I finally ended up separating the damn igniter. I noticed from all the wiggling and pulling that the xenon bulb was basically "loose", so I unscrewed the washer bracket thing that holds the coil and xenon bulb on. Out came the igniter, with the bulb, coil, and bracket attached. I very, very carefully used my dremel to cut the black outer pieces of the igniter (the ones that attach to the bulb and lock into place). After that, I gave it yet another couple maximum effort yanks and it finally came off.

What's weird is it doesn't look melted or anything. I had a bad feeling when I installed it the first time, because it was a very tight fit unlike how they're supposed to be (just a snug fit). Next time, if it's too tight a fit I'm just returning the damn thing.

Lightwerkz customer service to the rescue, by the way. They've really gone all out trying to assist me. Even so much as contacting a Canadian vendor and shipping UPS to avoid the Canada Post labor dispute delays. (Meaning I get the replacement igniters in 3 days instead of 21+ days)

Comment

Probably just a bad part somewhere. Good of Lightwerkz!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                  X