No announcement yet.

Are these housing lenses restore-able?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these housing lenses restore-able?

I retrofitted my OEM 98-01 Integra headlights back in 2004, and then a little over a year later I wetsanded them and put clear PPF on them. The film stayed on there for probably 11-12 years or so, and deteriorated pretty badly. When I finally pulled it off, and wet sanded and polished the lenses again, I was left with this:

I left the lenses bare for a year or so, but then just last night I ran some more polish with a DA over the lenses. Even though I removed every last bit of adhesive from the old film with wet sanding and polish, the plastic still appears to be "milky" in appearance on the inside, even though the outside is perfectly slick and smooth. There appears to be spider cracks in the plastic, but I can't feel them from the outside.

Pics from last night:

Maybe when I upgrade the projectors I should just buy some cheap aftermarket headlights, just to get new lenses on here? Or maybe I should use the entire housings on the aftermarket lights and throw the guts inside the aftermarket housings. Since I can't feel the cracks on the outside, I'm not sure if spraying 2K clear coat onto the lenses would help anything as far as improving the appearance of the cracks. Suggestions?
    1994 BG-33P Paradise Blue Integra GS-R
    Full 98+ conversion
    E-class bi-xenon projectors

why not just get new aftermarket ones? 1A-Auto has good sets.

Comment

Originally posted by THEONE45 View Post
      why not just get new aftermarket ones? 1A-Auto has good sets.
      because it would add $200+ to the cost of upgrading the projectors, and I was hoping to keep the total cost of the projector upgrade plus misc. parts under $200 total.
      1994 BG-33P Paradise Blue Integra GS-R
      Full 98+ conversion
      E-class bi-xenon projectors

Comment

Unfortunately plastic gets hazy all the way through and spider cracks eventually. Can't save it.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Working...
        X