Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D2S XB35 bulbs or XB50 for 50w morimoto ballasts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2S XB35 bulbs or XB50 for 50w morimoto ballasts?

I'm currently using the XB35 5500k bulbs but have recently found there is a XB50 variant as well.

Which ones would you recommend for use? My main need is increased visibility on the roads.

On the specs sheet, it lists the following:

XB35: 5500K: Pure White (~3400 lm)
    XB50: 5800K: Pure White (~4800 lm @ 50W)

I do see that for the XB35, it does not state whether the bulbs are being run at 35w or 50w for the 3400 lm output rating. On the XB50, it specifically says 4800 at 50W.

3400 is at 35W (although it's an inflated figure IMO). What projectors will they run in? The problem with 50W is that it doesn't just get you more light down the road... it also gets you more light in front of your car. More light does not always = better visibility.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      3400 is at 35W (although it's an inflated figure IMO). What projectors will they run in? The problem with 50W is that it doesn't just get you more light down the road... it also gets you more light in front of your car. More light does not always = better visibility.
      They'll be in the md2s 3.0 projectors. This was my build thread: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...-3-0-tlf-redux (although it looks like all the pictures are gone, unfortunately).

Do you think I should change the bulbs to the XB50 or leave them as is with the XB35?

I'm all about increased visibility!

Comment

XB50 is unnecessary but nice to have for 50W ballasts. Regular XB35 bulbs will work just fine and be as bright at 50W, just with a shorter lifespan. However, I don't really agree with people's love for 50W. There is such a thing as too much light, and the D2S 3.0 already has a very strong hotspot. AKA I'm iffy on it, but if you want to go 50W that's no problem and you don't HAVE to upgrade bulbs.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X