Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LED bulbs in halogen or xenon projectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LED bulbs in halogen or xenon projectors

    Hey Everyone. Need advice from the knowledgeable members here. I have a Hyundai Grand i10 that has a couple of useless H27 fog lamps that barely give any noticeable light outpit. I want to upgrade these than the main halogen headlamps right now. I also have a pair of around 5 years old H1 type mini xenon projectors lying around with me. 1 was used in my motorcycle that i sold while 1 projector has been lying unused all these years. Now which option would be better for me ?

    1. Get H27 led bulbs and directly fit in halogen housing. The fanless led bulbs i shortlisted are these ones: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pcs...779913086.html
    2. Order H1 fanless led bulbs and fit them in projectors and then retrofitting them inside the fog lamps. The fog lamps are wide enough so i guess the projector will fit.

    Will the H1 led bulbs work well in those early gen mini - H1 projectors ?

    Option 1 is slightly cheaper and also easier to do as i wont need to spend time retrofitting.

  • #2
    Hi Puneet,

    If you're going to be retrofitting the headlamps with a xenon or LED projector, you're going to have a large amount of foreground lighting. IMO, that is what foglights are intended for and in most modern vehicles their intended purpose is to help illuminate the road lines in fowl weather immediately infront/beside the vehicle, that's it. They're intended for low speed driving in fowl weather. So that being said, your useless fog lights are functioning correctly, useless.

    As for your query, if your intent is to use them only off road then those plug and play LED bulbs are probably your best bet. However, cosmetically It would be way more appealing for you to retrofit them with some cheap H1 HID projectors, HID would be better but considering the application you could try a LED bulb in there. Like I said, they'll still be useless, just cool.

    Comment


    • #3
      Those bulbs should do okay in fog lamps. They have a poor thermal design so they get really hot and they lose a lot of light over a 60 minute period. I think when they finally settle its around 12 watts, which is just fine for fog lamps. The focus isn't too bad but as already stated, fog lamps really just fill in the foreground and some illumination on the edges of the roads.

      If your original factory halogen fog lamps are not designed well then installing LED bulbs might not improve the projected output, but you can certainly give it a try.

      I DO NOT recommend these bulbs for low beam headlamps.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by evo77 View Post
        I DO NOT recommend these bulbs for low beam headlamps.
        Second, thirded, fourthed and so on. They aren't really bulbs, they are LED's glued on a stick...

        I don't recommend them at all for on-road use. My biggest concern would be glare to other road users. For off road use, put whatever in there :P

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by evo77 View Post
          Those bulbs should do okay in fog lamps. They have a poor thermal design so they get really hot and they lose a lot of light over a 60 minute period. I think when they finally settle its around 12 watts, which is just fine for fog lamps. The focus isn't too bad but as already stated, fog lamps really just fill in the foreground and some illumination on the edges of the roads.

          If your original factory halogen fog lamps are not designed well then installing LED bulbs might not improve the projected output, but you can certainly give it a try.

          I DO NOT recommend these bulbs for low beam headlamps.
          So should i get those leds that have a fan to cool them? I just want some extra light that helps the low beam as.fog lamps will throw light neat the front of car.

          Was trying to find some output shots of h1 leds in mini h1 type projectors here but unable till yet. As they will spread light much better. Glare if any is fine as i will use only on divided roads with no oncoming traffic.
          Last edited by puneet_India; November 10th, 2018, 02:16 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by puneet_India View Post
            So should i get those leds that have a fan to cool them? I just want some extra light that helps the low beam as.fog lamps will throw light neat the front of car.

            Was trying to find some output shots of h1 leds in mini h1 type projectors here but unable till yet. As they will spread light much better. Glare if any is fine as i will use only on divided roads with no oncoming traffic.
            No. Fog lamps are not designed to have a high powered light. Which is why most of them have low wattage halogen bulbs. A fog lamp that has a good optical design will provide BETTER light distribution with a low powered light source than one with a bad optical design and a high powered bulb. The small reflector surface area can only handle so much light from a given light source. Once you past the threshold you then simply just distort the beam and scatter light and waste it.

            Since those bulbs are cheap, its worth experimenting with. If you find that it does not provide adequate illumination then you may want to consider spending more money and getting a true dedicated LED projector fog lamp, such as the Morimoto XB or even a OEM Valeo LED fog lamp found in the newer Mustangs (and other vehicles sold in other markets). These type of fog lamps will have a superior beam than any LED bulb + reflector fog lamp could ever produce. Its all about the optics.

            Valeo LED fog lamp (on the right)

            Comment

            Working...
            X