Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prius-Specific Projector/LED/Wiring Questions

Hi all,

I am brand new to retrofitting and lighting in general, but I want to learn the trade.

I have an old 09 Prius that needs help; it's headlights are cloudy, yellowed, and dull. I want to install projectors, demon eyes, a day running light, and maybe a sequential switchback. I'm not sure yet, I'm still exploring my options. I want to have fun with it. I think it has potential.

I've been doing tons of research and watching YouTube videos, but there are a few things I have not been able to get clear answers on that I am hoping you all will know...

1) should I bother trying to restore these headlights, or buy new ones to work on?

2) My Prius has stock HIDs. Most info out there is on either installing projectors in stock halogens or LEDs, or installing the "HID with projector package."

Almost no info for installing in stock HIDs. To install projectors, I've heard I may need to do some dremeling, but will I need to do rewiring? Someone recommended and said I could use the existing wiring with the Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 using denso slim ballasts. Correct?

3) the Prius' 12v is in the trunk over the right wheel well... So running power from that would be a nightmare. What's the next best power source to tap in to for LEDs?

Any suggestions or pointers area greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

welcome!

1) unless headlights are obscenely priced($500-1,000 each), it's generally always better to start with new housings. it gives a fresh start, and also allows you to use the car while performing the work, so you don't need to feel rushed to get the car functional in any specific time frame.

2-3, i just simply don't know a lot about. it's very model-specific, and i don't recall reading too much about oem prius hid's in the past. my rough guess is the other person is correct, but it's only a guess.

as far as power, there ought to be something up in the front of the car for power-- according to this really annoying multiple-video site, there's a fuse box at the front of the car that would be suitable for connecting power:
    https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...ery/jump_start
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Welcome to HID Planet!

The HID system is D2R, I'm pretty sure you can keep your stock ballasts and use them on a D2S system. Not sure how the high beams work though.

Usually cars with trunk batteries have a positive post in the fuse box. My 2017 CT200h did, and it runs a Prius powertrain.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Working...
      X