What to use to fill holes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to fill holes

Finished retrofitting some 4.0s into my denali headlights, but i have some larger holes to fill now. Last time i used permatex silicone but it left a greasy feel on the rubber on the headlights. If a person found butyl caulking would that work? Or what do you guys recommend?

What do you mean fill holes? Generally people put a rubber boot on the back of the headlight.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

The black plastic pieces around the frame, with what looks like a hole for screw at the bottom and top; doesn't that mate to an end cap that can cover the back of the projector? What does that look like? Maybe you can extend that cap instead of making an entirely new seal for the back of the projector?
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

There is no end cap. The original projector was a sealed unit. When i retrofit to a 6.0 i had to silicone the plate and around the projector. With the 4.0, the was a considerable amount of extra cutting to make it fit.

Comment

Oh I see. Why not JB Weld?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Would need to be suoer thick to fill the holes. I was thinking of jb weld steel stick to fill the holes, then the 2 part stuff to finally seal it. Thats if silicone and butyl caulk are a bad idea. I dont think i will be able to retro these again so JB is a strong possibility, just never used it before.

Comment

Some silicones outgas, gotta be careful. I just never used silicone in any headlights before so I can't comment. JB Weld is safe and strong.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Well, i used steel stick to fill most holes and then jb kwik to cover everything exceot the holes for the plugs for the high beams. Guess those i will have to silicon, dont think its a good idea to jb weld those plugs in to fill the holes behind them...as tempting as it is since im at work, its midnight, i have no silicone, and i want to get these lights in the truck for the drive home now lol

Comment

Working...
                X