Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A bit of a dilemma (Retrofitting HIDs onto a 2008 Dodge Charger)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of a dilemma (Retrofitting HIDs onto a 2008 Dodge Charger)

Hi guys!

So basically, here's the situation I'm in:

I own a 2008 Dodge Charger R/T with the Road & Track package which means it came with THESE headlights. (D1S low beams and 9005 high beams).

So I'm currently in the process of Batmobiling my car right now, trying to black it all out. With that in mind, I ordered the following headlight housings:

(Blew this one up a bit more so you can see the low beams - also take note of the red arrows, I will be referring to those after)

Let me just say that when I ordered these I didn't know what I was getting into. I was an idiot. I'd been waiting for these housings to come back in stock because there weren't any others like them. I just thought I'd take the bulb out of the projector that was in my current ones and put it in there. (By the way I'm explaining this you're probably aware that at the time of buying I had no ****ing clue what I was talking about. You'd be right.) I should also mention 2 other things:
    • The headlights I currently have are so ridiculously hard to find even the OEM version, there is no chance I could get a different colour. My life would be so much easier if I could just order the ones I already have in a dark chrome housing but I swear to God it's like they don't exist.
    • I ordered these because I dislike the idea of a film-tint over the headlights and I didn't like the yellow turn signal/side light.

So after a couple weeks of researching and learning about headlights and different types of bulbs, I am in this dilemma. (And thank GOD this site exists.) Also FYI, I am going for 6000K lights.
    • I've learned a bunch about retrofitting but I'm not sure if I want to do it myself. I've done a bunch of work on the car but I'm not sure exactly how precise you need to be when it comes to working with headlights. If I were to retrofit, what do I do about these things? (SEE RED ARROWS IN PIC ABOVE). And what are they called?
    • Can I just get 9006 low beams that are colored like Xenons/HIDs (6000K)? At least until I learn more about retrofitting and am more comfortable with it. I know that because the housing is reflective it can be blinding, but does that apply here, or just high beams? I'm still learning about how that works. If it can be done, should I look at LED bulbs? Conversion kits? (Sorry, still learning all of the terminology).

There is more stuff I had in mind that I forgot while writing all of this so if I remember any of it I will try to reply and/or edit this post.

Thanks in advance for any help fellas.

Welcome to HID Planet!

Those headlights, no matter the bulb, are a MASSIVE downgrade from your factory headlights. Especially since they're tinted, but even if they weren't, still a huge downgrade.

No halogen bulb will be truly 6000K. HID and LED don't belong in reflector housings for the most part, but occasionally it can work in quality OEM housings. But the optics in these aftermarket housings are terrible.

Do yourself a favor and return those headlights. Crack open your stock headlights, replace the projector with a bixenon projector, and paint everything else flat black for that murdered out look. Just never tint the lens. You can also paint the projector shield red for a nice demon eye look.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Haloruler64 Hey thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

So quick question then, why would these headlights be a massive downgrade? I thought it was just a matter of taking the bulbs out of the old housings and moving them to the new housings (except for the low beams of course).

Also I should note that they aren't actually that dark in person, it doesn't look like the lens is actually tinted, rather they just aren't a bright silver shiny chrome. Could be wrong, but that's definitely what it seems.

And when you say the optics in aftermarket housings are terrible, do you mean these ones specifically or in general?

Sorry about all of the questions haha, still learning. Thanks again.
      Last edited by radwic; August 10th, 2018, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Headlight performance is all optics. On one hand, you have OEMs putting tons of resources into forming fine optics to comply with the DOT regulations and create a proper beam pattern. On the other, you have a Chinese manufacturer that just makes a crappy reflector/projector. Not to mention fitment issues and poor quality lens that yellows quickly. Plus you're going from OEM HID to aftermarket halogen which is another huge step down.

I meant in general, unfortunately. For the most part, aftermarket headlights are pretty crappy in terms of output.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
          you have a Chinese manufacturer that just makes a crappy _______
          Ah, ain't that always the way. I knew that HID to halogen was a big step down, that's why I was looking intro retrofitting for these in the future so I could keep the look of these ones because I think they look great (but performance... well...). Quicker lens yellowing and beam patterns are new to me on the other hand. Good info.

What I was thinking of doing was going with a Philips CrystalVision or something similar for now, until I learn as much as I need to about retrofitting. Does that make sense or is it not worth it?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

If you really like the look, do a retrofit! Of course that's the best route as the performance will EASILY beat your OEM HID headlights.

If you plan to retrofit, a set of Philips X-Treme Vision or Racing Vision will be the best way to hold you over. If you want the absolute BRIGHTEST but don't care about color, a set of 9012 bulbs will fit with a bit of modification and outperform anything 9006.

Retrofits are a lot less daunting than they seem! Definitely do research, ask questions if you need to, and do it at some point. Thankfully you have spare headlights to get you by while you're working on the retro.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I would be interested to see real actual pictures of the head lights. From the ebay ad, they look like the typical chrome housings with a smoked lens. Then again, they photoshop everything, so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                If you really like the look, do a retrofit! Of course that's the best route as the performance will EASILY beat your OEM HID headlights.

If you plan to retrofit, a set of Philips X-Treme Vision or Racing Vision will be the best way to hold you over. If you want the absolute BRIGHTEST but don't care about color, a set of 9012 bulbs will fit with a bit of modification and outperform anything 9006.

Retrofits are a lot less daunting than they seem! Definitely do research, ask questions if you need to, and do it at some point. Thankfully you have spare headlights to get you by while you're working on the retro.
                Alright, will do! Thanks again for all of your help. I've already learned a lot about this stuff so I'll keep looking and will probably end up retrofitting if these look good on the car. Much appreciated

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                I would be interested to see real actual pictures of the head lights. From the ebay ad, they look like the typical chrome housings with a smoked lens. Then again, they photoshop everything, so who knows.
                Sure, here's a pic:

Comment

Haloruler64 Hey bud, quick question for ya, do you think it'd be possible to just take out the projector from my OEM housings, buy a shroud and move it into my new housings?

Comment

Technically, yes. Realistically, it may be very hard. Some OEM projectors have convenient mounting points. Some are cast into brackets that make them housing specific. It's hard to tell. However, you'd do better with a new projector anyway. I think those Dodges used Valeo projectors which are quite mediocre to bad.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                    X