Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Which HID Bulb???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Which HID Bulb???

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, one bulb for both low and high beams and they are going purple. Which bulb do you recommend for a guy who lives in MN but wants more light output. The headlights have never seemed to shine far enough ahead or be bright enough at night.

Thank You

Welcome to HID Planet! Is this the model with halogen reflectors?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

I appreciate the welcome and the assistance!

I'm not as smart on these matters as I wish I was, how can I tell? I have a single bulb in a housing on the far edges of the jeep one on each side with one bulb within them that works as the high and low beam. There seems to be a mechanical device that flips up and allows light to shine higher when the high beams are on. There are also two inner daytime running lights on the inside next to the grill on both sides. I also have fog lights down on the bottom of bumper.

Let me know what else I can provide to answer your question if this is not sufficient,

And again, Thank you

Comment

Can you post a photo of your headlight? You'll need to upload it to a site like Imgur, Imgur specifically has the "BBCode" share text that you just paste in and it'll embed it into your post.

For future references, reflectors are chrome bowls. Projectors are the cat eye looking lenses.

Reflector:

Projector:

Lighting info is not all that common or popular so don't worry about not knowing much about this stuff. We'll guide you through it.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Thanks and it's a projector then, looks like the one here:

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sit...-headlight.jpg

Comment

Just to be clear, the outside is what I believe is the projector and is the low and high beam. The inside is the day time running light and looks to be more of a reflector type housing.

I am looking for recommendations on the low\high bam bulb, they have always seemed week to me.

Thanks again

Comment

Gotcha, gotcha. Well good! So here's the rundown. Generally, HIDs in halogen housings are frowned upon. HIDs in reflectors is a major sin, as they blind the hell out of everyone. However, in a projector they're generally safe. The cutoff (the horizontal line where below there's light and above there is none) remains intact. So feel free to continue running HIDs.

However, the quality of HIDs varies greatly. You wouldn't believe how bad they get. I always recommend getting the top of the line stuff for many reasons. 1. Much safer, those cheap kits have been known to catch fire before. Not common but it happens. 2. MUUUUUCH more light. The cheap kits make fractions of the proper light output of HIDs. 3. HIDs put out a lot of UV light, which degrades the internal coating of the headlight. The reflective coating wears off, and you no longer have headlights because there's no mirror finish. Quality HIDs use UV blocking glass to minimize (not prevent) this. 4. Longevity of course, they'll last much longer.

I always recommend the XenonDepot Xtreme HID kit. The bulbs use real Philips UV quartz glass, just like OEM HID bulbs though the internal salt mixtures are different. The ballasts should last forever and don't put major load on your factory wiring. The bulbs are perfectly aligned and are the brightest I've tested (reference: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...-bulb-shootout). You can't go wrong with XenonDepot. There are a few other options as well. if you're on a budget, you can get all NHK stuff from Lightwerkz.

Once you upgrade to a great HID kit I think you'll love the difference.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

okay, so now I'm very confused. Are you saying the bulbs currently in the jeep are not HID? and I need a kit to convert what ever it is in there to HID.

The current bulbs starting going purple which I thought was an HID going bad....

Comment

Wait I'm really sorry. Are they FACTORY HID bulbs? Because if they are, I'm a total dumbass who completely misread the post.

if they are factory HID, then yes going purple means they're super old. They've long gone dim too, HID bulbs dim over time and they become super dim long before going purple. Get yourself a nice set of new bulbs. Factory Philips 4300K bulbs are great, Osram CBI are much whiter (no blue) but more expensive. Philips Xtreme Vision Gen 2 are known as the brightest HID bulbs on the market, but pricey. XenonDepot are good on a budget, but names like Philips and Osram are going to be better. Only buy from reputable sellers like XenonDepot, The Retrofit Source, or Lightwerkz as there are tons of fake HID bulbs on the market. Never eBay or Amazon.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I bought the jeep used so I really don't know what came from the factory, all I know is the current bulbs are going purple and it looks like the projector type housings . It's the first problem I've had with them. How do I determine if they are factory HID or not?

Are Sylvania bulbs any good?

Comment

What things do the lens and housing say on it? Can you post a photo of the labels and writing on the lens?
                      2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                      1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

You remove the bulb and take a pic of it. That's the easiest way to determine what your factory bulb type is!.

Sylvania are pretty mediocre bulbs. Don't last long.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I have no idea if the bulbs in it are factory or not. I bought the truck used and it's a 2011

here's a pic of the top of the assembly looks like by clicking on the Tinypic.com link below works but I cant get them to embed.
                          lense

Tinypic™ is a photo and video sharing service that allows you to easily upload, link and share your images and videos on MySpaceŽ, eBayŽ, blogs and message boards. No account required, upload your photos and videos today!
                          Last edited by madman99; July 30th, 2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X