Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relocate High-beams to Fog Light Housing (or other location ideas)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocate High-beams to Fog Light Housing (or other location ideas)

Hi, I'm working on retrofitting some projectors into my main headlight assembly. I initially was planning on putting two projectors into each housing, (one for low-beam and one for high-beam), but now that I have collected all the parts I realize there is only enough space for one of these projectors. I know I could just go and buy bi-xenon projectors instead, but the whole idea behind this project was using parts from broken headlights at the body shop I work at. Obviously I need to stick with the projectors with the cut-off for the main part, but now I'm trying to figure out how I can still have high beams. One idea that popped into my head is to relocate the high-beams to the fog light housing, but I'm not sure if that would work or not. The downside is that I wouldn't have fog lights anymore either though.

Anyone with experience have any idea what would work best? Are there any super small high-beam options out there that I could squeeze into the main housing? Any other options I might have overlooked? Thanks.

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by tallguitarguy View Post
    Hmmm. I can't seem to find any cut-off shield kits online or anything like that (not sure if I'm looking up the right thing). But maybe it'll just be best for me to wait out finding some bi-xenon projectors (if we have any of them come through the shop), or just buying them anyway if necessary.
    Sometimes TRS or Lightwerkz may be able to sell you the shield-and-solenoid assembly from older Mini H1 projectors. They're not the best shield assembly but they're compact enough that you'll get the best chance of transplanting it to other projectors.

Leave a comment:

• Bitter
    replied
    G5-R from lightwerkz

Leave a comment:

• tallguitarguy
    replied
    Hmmm. I can't seem to find any cut-off shield kits online or anything like that (not sure if I'm looking up the right thing). But maybe it'll just be best for me to wait out finding some bi-xenon projectors (if we have any of them come through the shop), or just buying them anyway if necessary.

Leave a comment:

• tallguitarguy
    replied
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll look into the shield kit idea a bit more. And yeah, the fogs are probably only like 5" from the ground or so, lol.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Originally posted by ^pomen_GTR^ View Post
    u can always buy bi-xenon shield kit to convert single-low beam projector into bi-xenon projector... (with some mods to fit properly where required)
    +1
    There is a good chance that there is enough hot spot remaining hidden behind the low beam shield.

The foglight idea may not work if you're talking about OE foglights (or whatever "foglight" that comes as factory option), because they are likely designed to spread the intensity and not have any sufficient hotspot to cover the distance needed as true high beams. It would probably look "bright", but at that low of a position, even flash-to-pass will not be that effective.

Leave a comment:

• ^pomen_GTR^
    replied
    u can always buy bi-xenon shield kit to convert single-low beam projector into bi-xenon projector... (with some mods to fit properly where required)

Leave a comment:

• Bitter
    replied
    Yea, WAY too low, I had some spot LED units sitting about 8-9 inches off the ground on my 626 and they were too low to be useful even with a tight spot beam.

Leave a comment:

• tallguitarguy
    replied
    It's a 1997 MX-6 and it's lowered, so fogs probably are too close to the ground then... But thanks for the idea with taking out the cutoff shield in the fog to test. To be honest, I'm not sure if the projectors I have will fit in the fog housing either, but I'm just trying to figure this all out better before I actually modify the main housing.

Leave a comment:

• Eddie
    replied
    Yup, it would help if we knew what kind of vehicle.

I'd remove any glare/cutoff shield in the existing fog lights first, see how well they'd work as high beams that way.

Leave a comment:

• Haloruler64
    replied
    Welcome to HID Planet!

That can be done, but it isn't ideal. The lower the high beam, the more foreground it produces. However, losing fog lights isn't a big deal. What car do you have?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X