Stock FX35 Ballasts and Projector problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock FX35 Ballasts and Projector problems

Just recently bought an 07 FX35, lights were working perfectly good up until I decided to use my CBI bulbs off of old car. Ever since then, the lights flicker on and off at night, I have to turn them off and on to get them working again. I checked all the connections and everything is good. What could be the problem?
    2008 Acura TL - Tech Package - ZKW-R Lenses - OSRAM CBI 66240 Bulbs

Soon To be Retrofitted: 1999 TRD Supercharged 4Runner
    FX-R 3.0 3" Lenses - Orbit Shrouds - 55w Retrosolutions Ballasts - 5000k XB35 D2S Bulbs

How old are your CBIs? They might be too worn.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Sounds like dying ballast.

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
        How old are your CBIs? They might be too worn.
        5-6 years old.

Originally posted by niZmO_Man View Post
        Sounds like dying ballast.
        What are the chances of both going at the same time?

FX-R 3.0 3" Lenses - Orbit Shrouds - 55w Retrosolutions Ballasts - 5000k XB35 D2S Bulbs

Comment

5-6 years is a while for a bulb, especially if it's heavily used.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
            5-6 years is a while for a bulb, especially if it's heavily used.
            She would drive with them during the day...trust me I know its a big a no no. Ive tried to explain to her but she wouldnt listen. I had them on my TL for about 4 years and she had them for about 3, so closer to 7 years and under heavy use from her.

Would it really cause the lights to flicker on and off from the amount of hours?
            Last edited by TegoTL; July 20th, 2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's a lot of time on them. When HID bulbs age, the gap between electrodes gets bigger and it's harder for the ballast to sustain the arc. It doesn't always manifest itself as flickering, but it can.

Driving during the day with headlights on isn't a huge deal, just gotta change bulbs more often. I'd pick up a new set of CBIs.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Yeah chances of both ballast going together is very low. On my car, battered by the sun (trashed outer lenses, burnt bowls), one ballast started playing up before the other, about a month apart.
                Car was 5 years old then. Although the bulb worked fine, not sure if it was replaced (might've been, although it was OE Japanese bulb not European).
                But yeah, grab some new CBI, well worth the money.

Comment

Just an update, it was the bulbs. Had a set of eBay bulbs kicking around, switched them out and all is good! Well sorta, I do really miss the CBIs, moneys kinda tight especially with a baby on the way lol! Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it!

Comment

The ebay ones should last a couple of months.
                    In the mean time: https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/produc...tense-d2s-twin
                    Start saving

Comment

Working...
                    X