Car was in the shop for a month, now the passenger side bulb won't turn on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car was in the shop for a month, now the passenger side bulb won't turn on

I just got my car back from the shop after it was in there for a fender bender. There was some damage to the front and back of the vehicle.

At one point in time, I think they may have had to take the front bumper apart to repair (mainly, it appeared to be cosmetic damage per the estimates).

Anyway, they did notice the HID equipment that I have in there, but probably didn't do much to disturb anything, I would hope.

The passenger side bulb does not illuminate when turned on. It did turn on *once* during testing, but when I had turned the car off and on again, it failed to illuminate.

We're not sure whether it's a bulb issue, or wiring, but the dealership is willing to look over the wiring and put in new bulbs, if needed.

I had my work done by HK45 a couple years ago, and everything was fine with the passenger side until I had brought the car in for work.

It did stay in the shop for about a month (maybe a bit over), while they were waiting on a backordered part (trunk issue), so it's not like the car was getting any frequent use during that time.

Should I be buying new Morimoto bulbs to test whether or not it's the bulb? If it's the bulb, if the dealership swaps the left and right, that should be a quick enough test to figure out whether or not it's a failed bulb or loose wiring, right?

Interestingly, when the lights are turned on, the little parking light turns on (2014 Ford Focus), but just not the projector.

I don't know I can properly navigate the tight space between the housings to check the bulbs myself (plus, not very handy), or I'd do it and figure out whether it's a bulb or something else that's defective.

Any thoughts or ideas as a non-handy person?

Comment

Did they have to do anything to the headlights? If the lights turned on without the bulbs being plugged in, it might have fried the ballast. The only real way to diagnose this issue is to start swapping components side to side until the problem follows the swapped component.

Comment

Originally posted by Zac. View Post
        Did they have to do anything to the headlights? If the lights turned on without the bulbs being plugged in, it might have fried the ballast. The only real way to diagnose this issue is to start swapping components side to side until the problem follows the swapped component.
        I know this is pretty old, but after significant back and forth, the shop agreed to swap just the bulb from one side to the other. Looks like the passenger side bulb did work on the driver's side, which means it's either the ballast or the wiring itself.

The dealership is refusing to look at it any further because it's not stock work and includes after market parts.

I hope HK45's work is easy to figure out, lol. He did my install!

I'm thinking I can try to move the driver's side ballast to the passenger side and see if that ignites the bulb. If yes, I'll have to get a new ballast.

They may have messed with the front bumper a little bit in order to clear out the dings and dents to the front side.

Comment

Working...
        X