CALLING ALL Major modification RETROFITTERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CALLING ALL Major modification RETROFITTERS

I currently have a 9th gen civic that I bought a TLX retrofit for, THE PROBLEM is that ive gone through hell and back trying to get these things sealed to the best of my ability yet i still get moisture inside, so i must live by the old saying of "If you want something done right, then do it yourself", i plan to buy a new set of OEM lights and move the TLX jewels over to those, i will definitely have to do some extreme cutting out of the back housing, so my question is: what is the absolute best method of closing up the back once im finished? The guy i had originally do the retrofit used some foam and fiberglass combo, is this correct? if so can you link me the products i need or just list them. Thanks in advance!
    Side question if i do this on my own i will want to do a RGB demon eye on the jewels and DRL if anyone knows about that process id appreciate it!

The problem might not be so much sealing the headlight completely but appropriate ventilation. How many vents does the headlamp have?

And when you say moisture inside, do you mean like visible water droplets or just light fogging?
    www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Post pics of the back of your housings
      Originally posted by HK45
      I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

i had two vents at the bottom but they did nothing so i recently sealed them with RTV and it was visible water droplets

Comment

So currently you have no ventilation inside that headlamp?

Comment

i mean i still have the goretex pads, is that not good enough?

Comment

they are led too so idk if that matters

Comment

There was a member a while back that had moisture problems in his OEM LED headlamp (Citroen). Thread found HERE. He concluded that whenever he removed the back dust caps all the moisture inside evacuated. But when the caps went back on, the moisture came back. His headlamp from the factory came with NO vents.

He then proceeded to drill a hole or two with hoses to the dust cap. Moisture remained but was LESS.

I suspect you may be having the same problem. You need more ventilation. You are going to have to experiment and try to add holes and gortex pads to see what eventually will suffice to keep the heavy moisture out.

Comment

I have a 1" hole at the top I just added a rubber grommet and 5/8" tubing instead of a plug there

Comment

can these be added AFTER or do i need to open up housing again? Either way, how many would you install and top or bottom??

Comment

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ac...ther-vent.html

Comment

Iirc, the TLX unit is quite massive, and unlike the OE light source in your civic, the heat concentration will be quite different. It is possible that air on the front side isn't getting enough warmth, and the warmer part associated with the TLX heatsink won't easily reach the front part thanks to the bulk of the TLX unit. That could also make the headlight lens a preferred condensation spot. I suspect with more vents in the back, if the air circulation towards the front isn't changed, it won't help much until you resort to having extremely large total vent area like DS3_BR .

I would try keeping the existing vents, but add a means to force air circulation towards the front edge of the housing that sees most condensation. Maybe a simple 12V PC fan inside the housing, with some ducting to encourage the right direction of flow?
                        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

well honestly after 4 days of drilling vents, resealing and testing and all of that with no success, ive come back to my original standing of doing it myself, there are scratches anyways and i think i can do a better job myself now that i see most of what was and wasnt done. The person who did them is not responding with anything helpful and TBH he said his are the same but he doesnt care, idk what i was thinking sending my lights off to a stranger on IG and what i expected in return, but basically i just wanna know what i should do next time, i ordered 6 vents 4 goretex patches new oem housings and butyl tape to seal the deal.
                          In my head this will be my process:
                          1. cut open the problem lights and take my jewels out
                          2. bake open my new lights @ 230 deg for 10 minutes
                          3. respray the jewels silver (as they are now)
                          4. remove the previous silicone and spray housing black and start to cut, plan and test fit the jewels in their new home
                          5. drill holes for the breather vents 2 in the back one at the bottom corner and install
                          6. add the new butyl tape in the channel of the housing
                          7. bake @ 230 for ten more minutes then cool down for 30 or so
                          8. then i will start to patch the cut up back housing with fiberglass and let that all cure
                          9. maybe do a leak test with a compressor and soapy water or windex
                          PLEASE let me know if i got this right!

Comment

sounds like a good plan for the next set, though considering that these housings are nearly scrap anyways, i would recommend attempting to figure out how to correct the fogging issue on the current set, then only implementing it on a new set when you know the what's and how's to make it work right.

there'd be nothing worse then to go through all that work only to end up at the same problem.
                            The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

GOOD IDEA Thanks bro, I agree with you! Now can someone give any advice on sealing the backing properly once i have cut it?

Comment

Working...
                              X