Boosting and lifetime of bowls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosting and lifetime of bowls

I am planning to re-do my retrofit and i want to use boosted hella gen3 ballasts (not 55w boost, but something between 45-50w) and i am wondering if there is any projector that is more sensitive to excessive heat and one that has no problem with it.. i am leaning towards open projectors, (rx350, 4,0 ) better heat dispersion maybe?.. Anyone running 50+ watt in long term? Thanks for any hints.

Open projectors deal with heat better. The additional UV damage on the bowls from boosting a bulb will have a bigger effect than heat, though. OEM open projectors work the best long-term, though, for boosting.

Comment

The Mini D2S 3.0 and 4.0 are advertised as safe to use with 55w.

Comment

Imho, as even OE projector's bowls sometimes brown, there really is no absolute guarantee that the choice of power and bulb will prevent damage from happening.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Most of the quality projectors can handle 55w, but make sure you use OEM bulbs. the burning isn't from the heat, its from the extra UV light given off, and the cheap bulbs give off more UV vs the OEM ones to begin with

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
            The Mini D2S 3.0 and 4.0 are advertised as safe to use with 55w.
            Yup. And LED bulbs put out 10,000 lumens as well...
            *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by HK45 View Post

Yup. And LED bulbs put out 10,000 lumens as well...

Comment

Originally posted by ak_cowboy View Post
                Most of the quality projectors can handle 55w, but make sure you use OEM bulbs. the burning isn't from the heat, its from the extra UV light given off, and the cheap bulbs give off more UV vs the OEM ones to begin with
                Yes i will be using just about all oem , but i am considering d2s 4īs also, i know it will burn eventually , i donīt have sealed headlights so it is not a big deal to replace bowl but i donīt want to do that every 6 months or so..
                Maybe someone who is running 55w for some time to share?

Comment

Working...
                X