Widest fog light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widest fog light

I'm thinking of installing fog lights in my 2016 Malibu that doesn't offer them. Anyways, what are the fog lights with the absolute widest throw? We also have a 2017 Fusion Platinum with the LED fog lights and they throw light atleast 60-70 feet in each direction. So I was thinking either having 2017 fusion LED fogs fitted or 2010 fusion fogs fitted with HID unless there are any fogs that throw light wider.

That would be the 2016+ accord. It's hard to tell how wide they are in the pics in those links but I've driven behind a bunch of them and the light looks like it goes straight out to the sides. And you can find them on eBay for as low as $120/pair that I've seen

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...31#post1414531

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...68#post1408268
    2006 Chevy Cobalt - SRX Bi-xenon/Denso 35w
    2011 GMC Terrain V6 - 4TL-R retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by FSanti87 View Post
      That would be the 2016+ accord. It's hard to tell how wide they are in the pics in those links but I've driven behind a bunch of them and the light looks like it goes straight out to the sides. And you can find them on eBay for as low as $120/pair that I've seen

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...31#post1414531

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...68#post1408268
      Their output looks great, their cutoff doesn't look as colorful as the fusions but that's not that big of a deal and they do seem a bit big at 9 inches in width. Not sure if they'll fit on my Malibu.

Comment

Yea it wouldn't be easy but there's always a way. I was actually looking at those this morning and trying to think of how I can get those on my terrain lol
        2006 Chevy Cobalt - SRX Bi-xenon/Denso 35w
        2011 GMC Terrain V6 - 4TL-R retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by FSanti87 View Post
          Yea it wouldn't be easy but there's always a way. I was actually looking at those this morning and trying to think of how I can get those on my terrain lol
          I got quoted $150 at some local mechanics for installation and wiring if I provide the fog lights so I think I might just do that once I figure out what fog light to use. Accords are nice but I'm not sure if they'll fit and they seem to have an orange cutoff. The 2010 fusion fogs have a nice blue cutoff but I'm not sure if they would fit. I absolutely love the 2017 fusion fogs because they're super wide and their cutoff is deep blue and purple but I don't know where to buy them or if they'll fit.

Comment

The 16+ accord are nice

Comment

Originally posted by Atruc68 View Post
              I absolutely love the 2017 fusion fogs because they're super wide and their cutoff is deep blue and purple but I don't know where to buy them or if they'll fit.
              Fyi, for a projector (which the Fusion fogs are), the blue/purple colorband depends on where the shield cutoff is placed relative to the optics of the bulb-bowl-lens. However, the beam pattern is inherent in the bowl and lens design. In other words, I would pick something that has a good beam pattern first, and then possibly tweak the shield's placement to get to the right level of colorband. The function of a foglight (or low beam, etc.) depends on the beam pattern, not the colorband.

To get a consistent colorband, the shield needs to have the right curvature. You can do a trial-and-error if the shield is thin enough to be bendable. For example, here is the output of a generic halogen projector with a flat shield. After trial-and-error pushing/pulling the center of the shield towards/away from the bulb, you can get it to generate some colorband. Because the shield is still not curved, the colorband doesn't go all the way. And this is still the halogen bulb; in other words, the bulb's light output color does not dictate the colorband (as long as the output contains the colors needed to generate the colorband):
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

If width is the goal is the primary goal, then the current LED accord fog lamps are very hard to beat. The pictures can't quite capture the effect. If you stand in front of the car and just to the side you can see the field of light they throw. I wish I had a drone to get an overhead picture of these lights.

And they are definitely not orange color in output. They are pure white led goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnoople View Post
                  If width is the goal is the primary goal, then the current LED accord fog lamps are very hard to beat. The pictures can't quite capture the effect. If you stand in front of the car and just to the side you can see the field of light they throw. I wish I had a drone to get an overhead picture of these lights.

And they are definitely not orange color in output. They are pure white led goodness.
                  I know they're not orange. It's just the cutoff that's orange as seen in the photos and I prefer a blue one.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                    Fyi, for a projector (which the Fusion fogs are), the blue/purple colorband depends on where the shield cutoff is placed relative to the optics of the bulb-bowl-lens. However, the beam pattern is inherent in the bowl and lens design. In other words, I would pick something that has a good beam pattern first, and then possibly tweak the shield's placement to get to the right level of colorband. The function of a foglight (or low beam, etc.) depends on the beam pattern, not the colorband.

To get a consistent colorband, the shield needs to have the right curvature. You can do a trial-and-error if the shield is thin enough to be bendable. For example, here is the output of a generic halogen projector with a flat shield. After trial-and-error pushing/pulling the center of the shield towards/away from the bulb, you can get it to generate some colorband. Because the shield is still not curved, the colorband doesn't go all the way. And this is still the halogen bulb; in other words, the bulb's light output color does not dictate the colorband (as long as the output contains the colors needed to generate the colorband):
                    Is it possible to tweak the color of the cutoff on a sealed LED unit?

Comment

+1 on the Accords. On my last car I had the X5 Led foglights aimed outwards. My new Accords foglights are pointed straight ahead and the width matches or beats that of the X5 foglights.
                      Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Originally posted by Atruc68 View Post
                        Is it possible to tweak the color of the cutoff on a sealed LED unit?
                        Ignoring whether or not the unit can be opened, the question depends on how the cutoff is created. If there is a shield between the reflector and lens, then a reasonably thin lens could probably be modified. Otherwise (be it an elaborate 3D-looking shield or a direct reflector optics) it won't be possible.
                        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Do you have a picture of the fusion fogs? I've often wondered what the output looks like.

Comment

More Accord goodness

Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
                              Do you have a picture of the fusion fogs? I've often wondered what the output looks like.
                              are you referring to the LED ones on the 2017 Platinum or the HID ones on the 2010's?

Comment

Working...
                              X