Recommendations for projectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for projectors

I doing a retrofit this summer on my 2016 Malibu, which uses 2.5" dual beam projectors.Can anyone tell me which 2.5" projector has the widest output, which one has the farthest output, and which one has the most colorful cutoff? Since my car utilizes a dual beam projector I would lose the flash to pass capability with HID so I am thinking of having a small dual beam projector in place of my turn signal that would take 9005 bulbs since I already have PnP 9005 LEDs. That way my HID projector would be low beam only or have a delay for high beam, like 5-10 seconds or so, and the one with LED would be dual beam. My turn signal would be replaced with an LED strip, (I've heard LED strips aren't that good as turn signals but I never use them. lol). I would also probably be installing fog lights that are either LED or HID, for fogs all I'm concerned about is width. I was either thinking 2010 Fusion Fogs with PnP HID or Morimoto 70mm LEDs.

So to basically sum this up I am interested in knowing:
    -What is a good, cheap and small dual beam 9005 projector
    -Which 2.5" D2S projectors (single or dual beam) have:
    The widest beam
    The farthest throw
    The most colorful cutoff
    -What are sone good but small HID or LED fog lights?

Just run Bixenon low/high beam in place of the current low beam and good halogen in the high beam, you'll retain flash to pass even when the lights are off. For 2.5 inch bixenon I think the RX350 is still a good unit. You're not going to get all 3, distance, width, and color in one unit. Each excels in one area more than the others, forget about color as it does not help you see any better.
    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter View Post
      Just run Bixenon low/high beam in place of the current low beam and good halogen in the high beam, you'll retain flash to pass even when the lights are off. For 2.5 inch bixenon I think the RX350 is still a good unit. You're not going to get all 3, distance, width, and color in one unit. Each excels in one area more than the others, forget about color as it does not help you see any better.
      The way I wrote it was kind of confusing but I was asking for three different projectors. Not one that meets every category.

Comment

You're not going to get 3 projectors to all line up, and the cost to have someone build that for you would close the gap between your Malibu and having just bought an Impala with HID.

Comment

You're not going to get 3 projectors to all line up, and the cost to have someone build that for you would close the gap between your Malibu and having just bought an Impala with HID.
          I do not plan on installing three sets of projectors. I just wanted to get an idea of what kind of projectors are out there and what my options are.

Comment

It sounds like you're trying to make this a really complicated retrofit. Just put a good 2.5" BIX in place of the OE low beam and be done. Less stuff to go wrong later on. And you won't even know what's going to fit till it's taken apart anyway, so picking one out now is pretty pointless since you have no idea if it'll even go in the light. Install the engine before you wax the paint.

Comment

It sounds like you're trying to make this a really complicated retrofit. Just put a good 2.5" BIX in place of the OE low beam and be done. Less stuff to go wrong later on. And you won't even know what's going to fit till it's taken apart anyway, so picking one out now is pretty pointless since you have no idea if it'll even go in the light. Install the engine before you wax the paint.
              Good point. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Atruc68 View Post
                I doing a retrofit this summer on my 2016 Malibu, which uses 2.5" dual beam projectors.Can anyone tell me which 2.5" projector has the widest output, which one has the farthest output, and which one has the most colorful cutoff? Since my car utilizes a dual beam projector I would lose the flash to pass capability with HID so I am thinking of having a small dual beam projector in place of my turn signal that would take 9005 bulbs since I already have PnP 9005 LEDs. That way my HID projector would be low beam only or have a delay for high beam, like 5-10 seconds or so, and the one with LED would be dual beam. My turn signal would be replaced with an LED strip, (I've heard LED strips aren't that good as turn signals but I never use them. lol). I would also probably be installing fog lights that are either LED or HID, for fogs all I'm concerned about is width. I was either thinking 2010 Fusion Fogs with PnP HID or Morimoto 70mm LEDs.

So to basically sum this up I am interested in knowing:
                -What is a good, cheap and small dual beam 9005 projector
                -Which 2.5" D2S projectors (single or dual beam) have:
                The widest beam
                The farthest throw
                The most colorful cutoff
                -What are sone good but small HID or LED fog lights?
                H1 7.1 : Widest 2.5 inch
                4TL-R : Most intense 2.5 inch

Comment

The RX 350 is a great all around projector with a good hotspot for distance, good width, and good color and it's bixenon and very compact. However it has a 3" lens which is not really an issue since it's very easy to open up the OEM headlight bezel 1.5 inches.

Comment

But in the realm of 2.5" projectors the OEM 4G TL is also a good, wide, colorful unit with a very nice slope cutoff. However it is lowbeam only.

Comment

Working...
                    X