Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HID projector in place of turn signal.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HID projector in place of turn signal.

    Hello everyone, I'm thinking of doing an HID retrofit in a 2016 Malibu. Anyways I want to have the main 2.5" projectors replaced with HID ones but I also wanted to add a second set of projectors in place of the turn signals and aim them slightly outward to increase my sidereal output and then use an LED strip as a turn signal. I was thinking of using matchbox projectors as the secondary projectors and I'm not sure what type I would use as the main ones, maybe FX-R's but I'm not too sure. Do you guys think small projectors in place of the turn signals is a good idea? What are your guys' thoughts or concerns with this project? I have very limited knowledge with this type of stuff so any advice would help me. Thanks

  • #2
    There are very very few amber LED strips bright enough to be a visible turn signal in sunlight and their durability is suspect. Amber LED's get very hot and need high drive currents to be bright, over time heat causes LED's to fail and dim.
    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

    Comment


    • #3
      +1 on the LED strip being insufficient for a safe turn signal.

      Aiming a low beam projector sideways will create unwanted side effects. Imagine that the intensity of a properly aimed low beam is like the shape of a candle flame in cartoons; wide at the bottom, and tapers off into a sharp-ish tip at the top. Aiming this sideways would make that main column point sideways, producing uneven lighting to passing objects etc.

      A more productive quad (that is the use of 2 pairs of projectors instead of 1 pair) for increased width is to find something with more width than the main pair, without changing the yaw alignment. For example, say you use OE e46 or e55 low beams. Then, you can add an LS430, as its hotspot is not that strong, but it uses more light to light up the sides. Practically, this would be challenging as the LS430 achieves its width via a rather large bowl, plus a secondary reflector underneath it. If you use a foglight, which do not have a hotspot, giving it a slight yaw (e.g. to point outwards) could work.

      But let's go back to why you'd want to do it in the first place. If this is a first retrofit, I'm leaning to suggest against doing any of these. The reason is "more width", "more distance", etc., is all relative. And until you've driven with a modified setting, the complexity of having a second pair of projectors may not be worth it. Disclaimer, the retrofit for my daily driver is a quad, and I did it for the most part for the challenge. Plus, it is not set up as a full time quad, where both pairs are on at all times at the same time. Instead, there is a switch that allows me to choose which ones respond to the OE light switch.

      For context, there was a member here that went farther than what I think you're planning, with 8 pairs of projectors:
      https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...ic?view=thread

      From a complexity point of view, it was quite impressive. I'm not convinced that the output is desirable. It is bright indeed, but brighter isn't always better. This is one of the output shots he shared. You can almost see the columns light produced by the side-aimed projectors.



      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

      3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bitter View Post
        There are very very few amber LED strips bright enough to be a visible turn signal in sunlight and their durability is suspect. Amber LED's get very hot and need high drive currents to be bright, over time heat causes LED's to fail and dim.
        We also have a 2017 Fusion Platinum and it has a turn signal similar to the one that I would like to install in the Malibu, just an LED strip, and it is super bright. Mayb this is because it is OEM though. I have heard that the Morimoto ones are really bright. Any recommendations on the LED strips?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by satrya View Post
          +1 on the LED strip being insufficient for a safe turn signal.

          Aiming a low beam projector sideways will create unwanted side effects. Imagine that the intensity of a properly aimed low beam is like the shape of a candle flame in cartoons; wide at the bottom, and tapers off into a sharp-ish tip at the top. Aiming this sideways would make that main column point sideways, producing uneven lighting to passing objects etc.

          A more productive quad (that is the use of 2 pairs of projectors instead of 1 pair) for increased width is to find something with more width than the main pair, without changing the yaw alignment. For example, say you use OE e46 or e55 low beams. Then, you can add an LS430, as its hotspot is not that strong, but it uses more light to light up the sides. Practically, this would be challenging as the LS430 achieves its width via a rather large bowl, plus a secondary reflector underneath it. If you use a foglight, which do not have a hotspot, giving it a slight yaw (e.g. to point outwards) could work.

          But let's go back to why you'd want to do it in the first place. If this is a first retrofit, I'm leaning to suggest against doing any of these. The reason is "more width", "more distance", etc., is all relative. And until you've driven with a modified setting, the complexity of having a second pair of projectors may not be worth it. Disclaimer, the retrofit for my daily driver is a quad, and I did it for the most part for the challenge. Plus, it is not set up as a full time quad, where both pairs are on at all times at the same time. Instead, there is a switch that allows me to choose which ones respond to the OE light switch.

          For context, there was a member here that went farther than what I think you're planning, with 8 pairs of projectors:
          https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...ic?view=thread

          From a complexity point of view, it was quite impressive. I'm not convinced that the output is desirable. It is bright indeed, but brighter isn't always better. This is one of the output shots he shared. You can almost see the columns light produced by the side-aimed projectors.


          I was looking into using Morimoto Matchboxes as the secondary set of projectors, does anyone know if those have a wide beam?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Atruc68 View Post
            We also have a 2017 Fusion Platinum and it has a turn signal similar to the one that I would like to install in the Malibu, just an LED strip, and it is super bright. Mayb this is because it is OEM though. I have heard that the Morimoto ones are really bright. Any recommendations on the LED strips?
            Fwiw, OE turn signal "strip" is not constructed the same way aftermarket strips do. The OE design is a relatively deep housing that mounts LED emitters on boards with access to ample heatsink, and reflector optics behind the final clear / cloudy diffuser. The aftermarket strip is typically made of smaller power LED emitters with less heatsink, on a semi flexible strip that is much thinner overall. Some aftermarket might be brighter at the expense of individual emitters failing after a while. That is not something you'd want to happen when the strip is installed inside the housing.

            Originally posted by Atruc68 View Post
            I was looking into using Morimoto Matchboxes as the secondary set of projectors, does anyone know if those have a wide beam?
            There's a reason why the Matchboxes are small.

            Here are some close-up shots of a Mondeo Titanium (Ford Fusion's European cousin) I took somewhere in Germany. The "LED strip" is on the bottom, unlike the US counterpart. Either way, what's behind the strip is nothing like the aftermarket LED strips.







            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

            3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

            Comment


            • #7
              Like all of these guys pointed out, aftermarket strips rely on forward facing intensity where OEMs rely on complex optics often reflectors or total internal reflection 'acrylic' optics to 1) focus light In a single direction to increase intensity and 2) to increase the effective surface area.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

              Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

              Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree with satrya suggestion to use foglights to increase your width. It's the easiest way to go and probably the most effective.
                Custom shield service not available at this time.

                PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  First of all that Malibu turn signal housing is huge lol you could do it but I'm in agreement with the rest of the people here. An aftermarket led strip won't cut it as a stand along turn signal. It's just not bright enough. Also another thing I'd like to mention is the longevity of the led strips. You really don't want one going out and you not having a turn signal anymore. You'd have to open the housing again and replace that. Just too much of a headache.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
                    First of all that Malibu turn signal housing is huge lol you could do it but I'm in agreement with the rest of the people here. An aftermarket led strip won't cut it as a stand along turn signal. It's just not bright enough. Also another thing I'd like to mention is the longevity of the led strips. You really don't want one going out and you not having a turn signal anymore. You'd have to open the housing again and replace that. Just too much of a headache.
                    I see what you're saying I would not want to have to take apart the headlight a second time no matter what. Fogs it is. Thanks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tsx + Mini h1. My first quad.
                      Tsx for wide, Mini h1 is more narrow.



                      Odoslané z môjho iPhone cez Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by marcos View Post
                        Tsx + Mini h1. My first quad.
                        Is that version 6.0 of the Mini H1?
                        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                        3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by satrya View Post
                          Is that version 6.0 of the Mini H1?
                          I think yes, it is from NHK company.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X