Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to check if HID ballast is toast or not ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to check if HID ballast is toast or not ?

Last week I posted a thread on this forum about the HID being not working.

So this time I am posting a thread just to see if my HID ballast is working or not.

So the thing is I dont have any spare HID bulbs or ballast to see if my current Bulbs/Ballast is working or not.
    Is there any way to check the ballast using multimeter to see if its working or not.

Thanks

Easiest way to tell if the ballast is the issue is to turn on your lights with the car off. Listen to hear if the ballast is making noise during startup. If not, then that may be it. Otherwise, the procedure below generally helps to determine which component is the problem:

Swap ballasts on your vehicle, and see if the problem follows the ballast. If not, try swapping the igniters. If the problem doesn't follow the igniters, then swap the bulbs. If that isn't it, then it's probably a bad relay, which you can verify bypowering each setup of ballast/igniter/bulb off the vehicle (using a computer power supply or 12v bench battery, like from a lawnmower).

Hope that helps, and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by 16cx-5 View Post
      Easiest way to tell if the ballast is the issue is to turn on your lights with the car off. Listen to hear if the ballast is making noise during startup. If not, then that may be it. Otherwise, the procedure below generally helps to determine which component is the problem: Swap ballasts on your vehicle, and see if the problem follows the ballast. If not, try swapping the igniters. If the problem doesn't follow the igniters, then swap the bulbs. If that isn't it, then it's probably a bad relay, which you can verify bypowering each setup of ballast/igniter/bulb off the vehicle (using a computer power supply or 12v bench battery, like from a lawnmower). Hope that helps, and let us know how it goes.

I tried that I dont get any noise at all
      So I think the ballasts are shot

I will try with the computer PSU again although I tried it before and it didnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ999 View Post
        I tried that I dont get any noise at all So I think the ballasts are shot I will try with the computer PSU again although I tried it before and it didnt work.
        Without a known good bulb, cable, igniter etc. its impossible to bench test a ballast.
        D1S is where its at, Radically better EMI and RFI performance. Only the new Japanese cars still use D2 bulbs, the others have all changed to D1S.

Comment

Working...
        X