Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Square D2S 3.0 Issue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Square D2S 3.0 Issue

    I'm in the process of aligning projector rotation on my Cruze, and found out I have something weird happening with the driver side. Passenger side seems perfect (other than obvious alignment) driver side appears to have a badly seated bulb, or a shield problem...not sure. Any advice at all would be MUCH appreciated. Bulb only goes in one way and isn't loose, and I've re-seated it to no avail.
    http://imgur.com/a/9Cz5d

  • #2
    Looks like the hotspot is too low on the driver side. You might have to shim the bulb up or down to get it right.

    What bulbs are you using? This problem is common with non OEM bulbs.

    Chevrolet Astra 2.0
    OEM Hella E55 frosted lens with 4-position Eletric Leveling
    Yeaky 5500k @ Hyluxtek ASIC DSP 50W

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Alberto View Post
      Looks like the hotspot is too low on the driver side. You might have to shim the bulb up or down to get it right.

      What bulbs are you using? This problem is common with non OEM bulbs.
      Not exactly. I'm running XB bulbs in my 3.0s and I've never had that issue. Never had to shim or anything.

      Comment


      • #4
        I thought I remember HK45 mentioning that the retaining spring in the Mini D2S 3.0 design could shift something related to the bulb seating during the tightening process enough to misalign the bulb. Can you try removing the bulb and reinstalling it on the other side?
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

        3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by satrya View Post
          I thought I remember HK45 mentioning that the retaining spring in the Mini D2S 3.0 design could shift something related to the bulb seating during the tightening process enough to misalign the bulb. Can you try removing the bulb and reinstalling it on the other side?
          Correct and this looks to be the case. Undo the retaining ring and reseat the bulb by holding it with your finger from one hand and tightening the retaining ring with the other hand.
          *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

          2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

          DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

          Comment


          • #6
            The retro looks cool though. Square matches the all black front end.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks guys, I did try carefully reseating the bulb so that nothing shifted, and it didn't help at all, these retaining springs are a PITA tho for real. I ended up taking the lights off the car cuz I decided I want to paint the insides, so I didn't have a chance to try swapping bulbs. I did, however, shine a flash light through the driver side projector and it had a perfect cutoff, so I guess it MUST be bulb related somehow..

              Comment


              • #8
                http://imgur.com/WmNP6q5
                http://imgur.com/PCLiEt9

                Here's how the bulbs end up being seated, is it normal for the spring to try and come through? And this is on BOTH sides it looks like this, yet somehow passenger side is perfect.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Edit, I took the driver side projector downstairs, fired it up, and swapped in both bulbs.....had the same bad output both times, so I'm fairly certain this is shield/projector related

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Is the output still bad when you try to hold the bulb/connector in by hand? Without the locking but or spring. Just to see what happens when the bulb moves around a bit in the opening.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
                      Is the output still bad when you try to hold the bulb/connector in by hand? Without the locking but or spring. Just to see what happens when the bulb moves around a bit in the opening.
                      Yes and the hotspot shifts slightly when the bulb is wiggled, but the cutoff stays the same incomplete and curved beam.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So guys, I appreciate the input, but I must have just been having a fluke or something, even though I realigned the bulb previously and it didn't help, I took the lights apart to paint the inside and put them back together, and now my light output is magically better.

                        http://imgur.com/a/HeJzc

                        http://imgur.com/a/xgZaQ

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Anthony Smith View Post
                          ... and now my light output is magically better.
                          I assume you took out the projector during the painting; did you disassemble the projector as well (e.g. separate the front from the bowl, etc.)?
                          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                          3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by satrya View Post
                            I assume you took out the projector during the painting; did you disassemble the projector as well (e.g. separate the front from the bowl, etc.)?
                            I did take it all apart, but the projector is actually one you can't disassemble. It's assembled when purchased with those one things that aren't screws (and aren't removable).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Afaik, the version that uses rivets are either prototype Mini D2S 3.0, or the version used for a 7" round Jeep housing, or the non-branded equivalent (so-called Q5-R).

                              Either way, it is still possible that what HK45 described was the root cause; only that it took several retries of removing and re attaching the bulbs onto the projector for it to seat properly.
                              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                              3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X