XB35 Morimoto Ballast... turning headlights on before cranking engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XB35 Morimoto Ballast... turning headlights on before cranking engine

I've searched and haven't really found a good answer. Previously I was using oem hella gen 3 ballasts with no issues. But now with the morimotos, when i turn on my headlights and then crank the car, my driver side light turns off and i have to flip them on and off again. I've seen this issue before and most people just say to turn on your lights after starting your car. But it just bothers me that I did not have this issue before and now do after purchasing these ballasts.

Is this something I should contact morimoto for?

PS: I am using a relay harness btw

Voltage drop causes ballast to shut off. Sounds normal to me (especially for aftermarket).

Comment

Originally posted by jdo408 View Post
      I've searched and haven't really found a good answer. Previously I was using oem hella gen 3 ballasts with no issues. But now with the morimotos, when i turn on my headlights and then crank the car, my driver side light turns off and i have to flip them on and off again. I've seen this issue before and most people just say to turn on your lights after starting your car. But it just bothers me that I did not have this issue before and now do after purchasing these ballasts. Is this something I should contact morimoto for? PS: I am using a relay harness btw
      i had this issue but after using relay harness problem solved.
      i think there is a problem with your car/battery or your relay harness.

Comment

I'd have to agree with the car battery. How old is the battery? Maybe bring it to autozone and have them load test it.

Comment

My wife's car did this exact thing 1 time, except it was on the passenger side which is the side farthest from the battery. Same circumstances lights on and then started the car. They are mori xb35 and TRS relay harness. I haven't worried about it. They have never once failed to work when turned on with the engine on or off. I assumed it was sudden drop on the circuit and then full running voltage had caused a failsafe in the ballast. My wife's battery is just fine.

Comment

The next time one side fails to start, leave the switch on, and try to disconnect and reconnect the harness-to-balllast connection on the side that failed. If the bulb lights up ok, then it is possible that the pin & socket in the connectors aren't sitting quite right. It may be an issue on the ballast pigtail side, or the harness side.

I had a similar issue and thought it was the bulb, ballast, or harness. With the 3-way switchable quad, I have 2 active pairs of bulbs, ballasts, and harnesses, but I have 1 spare of ballasts & harness (as well as several D2S bulb spares). For my case, the harness-to-ballast connection has been the source when this happens. This includes using a Matsushita Gen V ballast with 85122 bulbs and swapping among the harnesses I have.
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Why not wait to turn the lights on until after the engine is started?

Comment

Could you have a weak battery or poor battery connections causing voltage to go low when cranking?
                2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

The side that went out upon starting was actually the side furthest from the battery, however I haven't seen the same thing happen ever since i unplugged and re plugged in the connectors to the ballast sooooo i think im good

thanks for the replies

Comment

I'm having a similar issue with my XB35s on a CANBUS harness in my 2012 Expedition, except the bulb that goes out is closest to the battery. Sometimes I have to turn the truck completely off to reset the ballast before the light will work again. Note that the DRL circuit is enabled and I need to bypass or disable it since its computer controlled. Is there any way to prevent that voltage drop and leave the automatic headlight function enabled, and is this something I should contact TRS about?

Comment

Working...
                    X