Starting a retro!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a retro!

Hello everyone! I'm hoping everyone here that had far more knowledge on the subject of lighting then I do may help me out with some bumps I'm having starting my retro.
    So I have a Mazda RX8 and the for sure thing I will be doing is swapping my projector lens for some clear lens and modifying my cut off shields.
    I figure while I have my headlights torn apart I'd throw in some DLR's but I want to do something unique instead of normal halo's or the led bar. So the plan is to paint the high beam mirrors black and then somehow overlay them with LED's in the shape of the rotor symbol. As well as run an led strip along the upper side of my bumper lip.

So my questions are what LED's can do this? The ones inside my headlights will make the shape of a triangle with sides roughly 2-3 inches in length, preferably being able to have a slight bow in the sides. I realize I may have to soder individual LED to achieve this. And then a strip that will be facing pointing up but needs to emit light outwards.
    Any input would be great!

If you paint your high beam reflectors black, no more high beams? You're ok with that? You didn't mention swapping in a bi-xenon projector.

It would be a lot of work to get what your vision is to become a reality. You have to think that most OEM DRL's use some kind of reflector optics to get the light to project outwards, whether it's a mirror behind the LED, or the LED is mounted at the top of the mirrored surface and firing into it (this is what most OEM's do these days with DRL's and tail lights).
    2010 Civic Si

Comment

+1 on not having high beams. The clear lens swap will still retain the low beam only of your existing projectors.

If you want to make patterns, it may work better if you add a diffuser ahead of the LED pattern. One way to do this is to create a custom one from frosted acrylic. You can get clear acrylic and spray paint it with "frosted glass" to achieve the same effect. The idea is that the precise placement of the LED emitters won't be as critical, because the final shape of the glow will be determined by the diffuser's shape. (which you can cut and shape more precisely than placing LED emitters)
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I never use my Hi beams so I don't care about losing them, regarding DRL's are you saying that I can't simply aim the LED's forward? I have to use a mirror?

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          If you want to make patterns, it may work better if you add a diffuser ahead of the LED pattern. One way to do this is to create a custom one from frosted acrylic. You can get clear acrylic and spray paint it with "frosted glass" to achieve the same effect. The idea is that the precise placement of the LED emitters won't be as critical, because the final shape of the glow will be determined by the diffuser's shape. (which you can cut and shape more precisely than placing LED emitters)
          Anyway you could link me to a DIY for this?

Comment

Originally posted by drkknight2112 View Post
            Anyway you could link me to a DIY for this?
            I mean make the shape you want out of acrylic. Place the LED emitters behind it. Frost the acrylic to even out the light distribution.

This example doesn't use LED; I simply took advantage of extra light from the HID bulb:
            https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...913#post738913

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
              I mean make the shape you want out of acrylic. Place the LED emitters behind it. Frost the acrylic to even out the light distribution. This example doesn't use LED; I simply took advantage of extra light from the HID bulb: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...913#post738913
              That is some amazing work you've done! Thanks for showing me what you meant.

I plan on doing some CAD work and once i have that done ill upload that to show you guys what I'm wanting to do.

Comment

If I had an RX8 I would run these DRLs in the front bumper and forget any LEDs inside the headlights. I believe they are the AUDI S6 LED DRLs.

Comment

Originally posted by THEONE45 View Post
                  If I had an RX8 I would run these DRLs in the front bumper and forget any LEDs inside the headlights. I believe they are the AUDI S6 LED DRLs.

Wait! There's a car in that pic?
                  *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

^ idk...if there is a car. All I see is LEDs and a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by drkknight2112 View Post
                      That is some amazing work you've done! Thanks for showing me what you meant. I plan on doing some CAD work and once i have that done ill upload that to show you guys what I'm wanting to do.
                      You're welcome and thank you. The main point I wanted to make is that instead of having to place each emitter in precise positions relative to each other, a frosted piece can enforce the shape of the glow that you want. Plus anytime one emitter needs to be replaced, it would be much easier to replace.

Comment

So for the DRL's inside the headlight I plan on using this, and mounting individual LED's into the circles. This "bracket" would then be mounted over the Hi-Beam, with the Hi-beam bulb being in the center. I am proficient with building circuitry (in this case LED's and resistors) and the bracket I have designed I will either make it out of wood or have it 3D printed. If made out of wood i will have to shape the wood, then dip it in some sort of heat resistant epoxy, followed by inserting all the LED's and wiring required after which I will probably re-dip the entire thing in a clear epoxy to hold everything together. After which I would paint the bracket so it doesn't look like wood. 3D printing would be easier since it could be printed using a black heat resistant material and then I would just insert the LED's and apply something clear (maybe acrylic) over the top of just the LED's. Anyways feel free to pock holes in my logic because to me it seems rather easy just time consuming.

EDIT: It says i'm not allowed to add or remove attachments in the post so I just made my avatar the pic of the bracket, sorry guys.

Comment

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
                          Wait! There's a car in that pic?
                          I too have not noticed a car... must keep this picture for... "science" reasons

Nathanael Carriere

Facebook l Instagram l Website l Blog

Comment

Working...
                          X