Painting Mini H1 for Demon Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Mini H1 for Demon Eyes

How would I go about doing this? I know how to take it apart and what parts are what, but I am unsure on what to paint. I also know I need to paint the front of the cutoff shield, but should I also paint the front of the metal that it is attached to(the limiter?)? Any suggestions how not to screw up the shield and cutoff would be great too. Thanks.

You can paint the front of the shield as well as the foreground limiter. Just be careful to not paint the solenoid if you don't remove it. Also, you might want to lightly wetsand the edge of the cutoff shield in case any paint built up along it.

Also.... what MH1 are you using? My advice is for a 5.0 or older, not sure if the 6.0's are assembled the same way.

Comment

I've got a 6.0 but from what I've seen it is nearly identical to the 5s. I don't think i will have a problem with the mechanics of it, I'm just worried that the light output or cutoff may change after putting it back together and even though I work with theater lighting every day, this seems a little more exact and fragile. I assume if I don't bend anything or coat the back sides I should be good. Thanks for the fast response!

Comment

No problem. Just like you said, be sure to not deform anything while you handle them. As far as reassembly, you will be able to do any small alignment tweaks while testing and putting them back together.

Comment

Everything said sofar sounds correct just one more thing .. Use a high temp paint such as engine paint

Comment

Like this, used high temp paintIMAG0430.jpg

Comment

Yep same here

Comment

Why not paint the front of the solenoid too?

Retrofit Build Journal
                Tuned Morimoto Mini H1 V5/6 Hybrids | XB35 4300K | Morimoto 5Five DSP
                Hella 500 Black Magic | Catz Zeta

2002 Jaguar X-Type AWD 2.5 V6 (planning quad retrofit!)

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Henry View Post
                  Why not paint the front of the solenoid too?
                  X2 anyone have an answer for that?

Comment

Go for it. Just make sure to prep the surface nicely so the paint cures and doesnt flake. And make sure no paint gets in the solenoid.

Comment

Another option would be to place a thin sheet of metal in front of the solenoid box, and then paint that sheet. No risk of getting any paint residue contributing to a sticking solenoid.

Like this (although I did this on a Mini D2S v2.0 and for a different reason):
                      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-Mini-D2S-v.20
                      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Can't I just tape off the open sides of the solenoid and then paint the spring and front?

Comment

^
                          Maybe.
                          I prefer to paint something that can be taken completely far away from the sensitive solenoid assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                            ^
                            Maybe.
                            I prefer to paint something that can be taken completely far away from the sensitive solenoid assembly.
                            Hm, I may investigate this a little. I don't wnat to void my TRS warranty by painting the shrouds. I'm going to try LEDs first, but I'm thinking of maybe some tin foil over the solenoid

Comment

The method I used (linked) was inspired by a fellow member's method, EvoXenoN. I substituted sheet metal for the original soda can.

Comment

Working...
                              X